PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with drivers, updates, and something else

imgod22222
November 18th, 2008, 06:57 AM
So basically I finally got Ubuntu 8.10 installed on a separate partition and everything. It sorta works, but I want EVERYTHING to work perfectly, how it should. So what I'm pretty much having trouble with is:

updating. I can download and install, but during the installation of the updates, the system will remain unresponsive. Hard reboot after like 15 minutes and I get unrecoverable dpkg errors. =\

drivers. I have an Nvidia 7900GT. The default drivers let me run at full resolution, but I can't enable any of the pretty visual effects. I sorta want that, but if I go system > administration > restricted drivers I get v173 and v177[recommended] both result in asking for a restart, which then screws over ubuntu and I have to boot in reduced-graphics mode. Which totally sucks, and is the really, really wrong resolution. I always seem to install my Xfi driver before the Nvidia one. Do they conflict?

freakin' sudo password. This happened to me on my first and 3 installs of 8.10. [of 8] I would do something (mount a drive for example) and it would ask me for my sudo password. *typed* Authentication failure. Okay, lemme type it again. wrong. wrong. wrong. okay: lemme change it. changed. type in the new password. wrong. WTF?! So I had to reinstall ubuntu.

Get 5.1 audio to work. After I install the drivers theres no little control panel to change from 2.0 sound to 5.1. Now I can't enjoy my awesome setup in ubuntu. :(

What do you guys suggest I do?
P.S.: Sorry if I sound a bit aggravated. I needs my sleep.

imgod22222
November 18th, 2008, 11:02 PM
*bump?*

imgod22222
November 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
seems that Nvidia driver 96 (or 97 i think) works for me. (needed to find it in synaptic)
Any ideas for the other stuff?

Oh yeah, I'm doing this from windows 'cuz whenever I try to post in a forum, Firefox in Ubuntu thinks i'm trying to download a .php file. >=|

imgod22222
November 29th, 2008, 05:34 PM
bump? :(

imgod22222
December 3rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
last bump, then I give up on ubuntu until the next release :(