PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help me! installing canon LBP 3460 in hardy heron

icejack_outlaw
November 18th, 2008, 04:05 AM
hai all.....im newbee in ubuntu....i hope somebody help and guide me how to install Canon LBP3460 in hardy heron.... i just downloaded the rpm file... but dont know to use it.... can any body help me....please:(

Partyboi2
November 18th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and installing alien which is a program that converts rpm to debs.
In the terminal type

sudo apt-get install alien Once it has installed change directory to where the downloaded file is, so if its on your Desktop

cd ~/Desktop then convert it

sudo alien -d file name Change file name to actually name of downloaded file. Once it has made the deb package you can install with

sudo dpkg -i package change package here to actually name of the deb package that was created.

icejack_outlaw
November 18th, 2008, 05:25 AM
thanks bro..... i get it now.... im will do it rite now... if any thing happen... ill ask u agin ok... thanks alot bro...

icejack_outlaw
November 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
partyboi bro..... when i try to install alien like u said.... the terminal appear this message >>>>

[Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
alien is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libtext-glob-perl libcarp-clan-perl lesstif2 libnumber-compare-perl
libbit-vector-perl
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.]

so what i want to do now???

Partyboi2
November 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
It means that you already have alien installed so move onto changing directory to where the download file is.