PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] why im switching to another distro

eldragon
November 18th, 2008, 04:01 AM
ive been here since 2006, ubuntu was my first dip of linux, and it was a sweet ride. all i know is thanks to its easy of configure and use. but since the last upgrade, ive noticed things have gone downhill.

several different problems have pushed me to look another way.

first of all. how sluggish 8.10 is. really disappointing. no benchmarks, just the feel compared to its previous release.

second: there have been numerous regressions that have been anoying the hell out of me.

- shutdown problems concerning ALSA, for starters.

- cpu fan control out of control <-- really problematic if you ask me.

and last but not least. my laptop is one of the several models with a nasty acpi bug that doesnt allow any livecd / install to boot correctly. being forced to make a circus out of what should be a simple installation. i shouldt, and never complained about this ACPI bug. which isnt ubuntu, or even linux's fault. but a workaround has been found. and a kernel patch has been posted on launchpad, before the feature freeze on intrepid, yet, i dont know why it went unnoticed. the overall feel is that launchpad isnt being checked by devs anymore. god knows how they track the bugs.

overall, the lack of quality assurance in favor of a timed release has been really perjudicial to ubuntu. this isnt the honey that will draw new installs. it will sacre them away.

now, after succesfully installing arch on my notebook, gonna sign up to their forums, and see if i can get them to apply the patch that was posted in launchapd and kindly ignored.

i hope some day in the future i can come back to ubuntu and enjoy its user friendliness without the severe performance penalty that intrepid ibex is.

inobe
November 18th, 2008, 04:16 AM
what did you experience with 8.04 ?

i am not suggesting using it again' just would like adding that info to the record .

zaine_ridling
November 18th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I've only heard good things about Arch Linux. Good luck. I'm not married to one distro; some of my hardware just works on non-Ubuntu distros much better.

eldragon
November 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
what did you experience with 8.04 ?

i am not suggesting using it again' just would like adding that info to the record .

well, actually, 8.04 worked great. ive still got it running on my server.

oh, and btw, what i thought was a driver glitch concerning the rt73usb which made all wireless connection unstable turned out to be a ubuntu glitch, since the same drivers work better than the legacy ones under arch.

but there is no point in creating a bug report, now is it?

ericesque
November 18th, 2008, 12:10 PM
now, after succesfully installing arch on my notebook, gonna sign up to their forums, and see if i can get them to apply the patch that was posted in launchapd and kindly ignored.

i hope some day in the future i can come back to ubuntu and enjoy its user friendliness without the severe performance penalty that intrepid ibex is.

Indeed there has been a lot of talk about Arch lately. I've been thinking about installing arch to see what all the fuss is about. I threw up a live cd of Puppy while I was recovering from grub errors and witnessed the most responsive OS I've ever touched... since then I've been wondering what I'm missing out on and where I can find it...

Just remember that Arch users are abundant and welcome here!

eldragon
November 18th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Indeed there has been a lot of talk about Arch lately. I've been thinking about installing arch to see what all the fuss is about. I threw up a live cd of Puppy while I was recovering from grub errors and witnessed the most responsive OS I've ever touched... since then I've been wondering what I'm missing out on and where I can find it...

Just remember that Arch users are abundant and welcome here!

indeed. im not leaving these forums, im much more helpful here than what i am in the arch forums, where everyone seems to be much more knowledgable than i am.

still makes me sad to see such a well sponsored distro get it so wrong in terms of quality

ericesque
November 25th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Oh come on now. A 'distro' as well sponsored as OSX even has to have a full release for fixes and performance improvements (snow leopard).

I hope that Ubuntu maintains a strong devotion to stable and speedy LTS releases. I think it's unfair for us to expect non-LTS releases to display the same quality as LTS releases.

eldragon
November 25th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Oh come on now. A 'distro' as well sponsored as OSX even has to have a full release for fixes and performance improvements (snow leopard).

I hope that Ubuntu maintains a strong devotion to stable and speedy LTS releases. I think it's unfair for us to expect non-LTS releases to display the same quality as LTS releases.

i dont think there should be any different treatment for LTS than there is for regular releases. and i dont think there are any, except for the bug fixing for LTS lasting longer than expected. and i dont think there is.

my experience when contacting devs or trying to file bugs, or getting a patch includded in the kernel has been less than optimal...its not about the ammount of bugs, but the lack of responses concerning them.

i dont care how a closed source company treats its customers btw.