PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apt-get question

eweibust
November 18th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I've used apt-get to install something. What is the best/easiest way to find out where it installed it?

Thanks...

oldos2er
November 18th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Type its name in a terminal.

eweibust
November 18th, 2008, 01:10 AM
That was worthless. I do that and my cmd launches. I want to know where the app is installed.

amauk
November 18th, 2008, 01:14 AM
which <command>

evilkastel
November 18th, 2008, 01:15 AM
show a little manners dude, he's just trying to help. 99 out of 100 times, it is in /home/usr/.thisisanexample . (replace thisisnaexample with the package you installed. remember, there is not such thing as fool proof)

EDIT: offcourse, which <command> should work too. i was a bit distracted.

issih
November 18th, 2008, 01:19 AM
One definite way is to open synaptic package manager and search for the installed package. If you then select the package and hit properties, one of the tabs will list all the installed files associated with that package.

The advice you have been given wasn't bad though, generally its easiest to find things by guessing the likely name and using tab completion.

Hope that helps

eweibust
November 18th, 2008, 01:20 AM
which mysql doesn't help either. It just tells me that apt-get stuck the client cmd in /usr/bin. Where is the server?

Thanks for at least responding. I'm getting closer.

amauk
November 18th, 2008, 01:23 AM
The MySQL daemon is located at /usr/sbin/mysqld

snova
November 18th, 2008, 02:29 AM
dpkg -L <package name>

Will output a list of file in the package.

dpkg -L <package name> | grep bin/

Will find all files located in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, where program binaries are (usually) located.

If you want to find where a particular program is running from, use the 'which' command.

akelsall
November 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Try locate program_name. Locate searches through a database that's created once a day (via cron), so it's a lot quicker when you need to find ANY file (not just an executable) on your system. The downside is if a file was crated between the time cron ran and the current time, it won't find it (if that makes sense).

If you installed it within the past 24 hours, you can try:

sudo find / -name program_name

Andy

spawn.
November 18th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Wow