PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java Applications Take 100% CPU

CalderCoalson
November 18th, 2008, 12:19 AM
After installing two Java applications that I used commonly in Hardy, (jMemorize and jDip), I noticed that an instance of either occupies 100% of my 200% total Dual-Core system. As expected, 2 instances of either, or one of each will consume the full 200% CPU. Other applications run fine, so it must be properly yielding CPU-cycles, but it's really annoying because I'm using a laptop and it gets hot and significantly decreases the battery life. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'll try and give you whatever information you need to figure this out.

Thanks
-Calder Coalson

jamesstansell
November 18th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Hi Calder,

It would help if you gave enough information that someone could reproduce the issue. Can you be specific about exactly what and how you installed, how you run it, any output or logging it produces, which jvm and arguments are used, 32-bit or 64-bit, graphics card and driver, compiz enabled or not, etc. Even if you don't have a clue about some of that stuff, it's fine; just start with what you can.

I've seen one report that sounded similar - if I recall correctly it was for one of the java plugins running in firefox. They saw 100% cpu used but the system remained responsive.

Regards,

-james.

CalderCoalson
November 19th, 2008, 02:33 AM
It would help if you gave enough information that someone could reproduce the issue. Can you be specific about exactly what and how you installed, how you run it, any output or logging it produces, which jvm and arguments are used, 32-bit or 64-bit, graphics card and driver, compiz enabled or not, etc. Even if you don't have a clue about some of that stuff, it's fine; just start with what you can.

Installation
Installed jMemorize from a .deb, didn't have Java so the process looked something like

sudo dpkg -i jMemorize*.deb
sudo apt-get -f install
Then downloaded a .jar file of jDip, and placed it in ~/.jdip

Running
I run jDip using

cd ~/.jdip; java -jar jdip.jar
jMemorize is run from the bin file.

Logs
Where would I find these?

JVM Arguments
I assume you mean like "-jar"? Described in "Running".

Operating System
Ubuntu 8.10 using kernel 2.6.27-8-generic 64-bit

Graphics Card
GeForce 7150 / nForce 630M/PCI/SSE2
As far as I can tell, I'm using the NVidia Proprietory driver version 177 with it.

Compiz
Enabled

I hope some of this helps...

ilyasergey
November 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hello,
I have same behaviour using IntelliJ IDEA with Intrepid. It doesn't depends on current Java (I tried both Sun distribution and Open JDK). Judjing by profile snapshot the class sun.java2d.SunGraphics2D class' methods take major part of CPU.
Thanks in advance.

With best regards,
Ilya

CalderCoalson
November 25th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Replacing OpenJDK with Sun-Java works solved this issue and many others:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin
sudo update-java-alternatives --set java-6-sun