PDA

View Full Version : MS fears Linux..or is it the other way arround ??

mkrahmeh
November 17th, 2008, 11:53 PM
check this article (http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource?p=294) and some of the links therein..
i never had one b4, but ppl seem to be not satisfied with linux netbooks.

anyway, i dont want to trigger the same old debates about which OS is the best, and who is gonna beat who, but i dont think windows 7 will bring linux down just like that..IMHO this is not how things go

billgoldberg
November 18th, 2008, 12:07 AM
check this article (http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource?p=294) and some of the links therein..
i never had one b4, but ppl seem to be not satisfied with linux netbooks.

anyway, i dont want to trigger the same old debates about which OS is the best, and who is gonna beat who, but i dont think windows 7 will bring linux down just like that..IMHO this is not how things go

I really don't care.

kg87
November 18th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I don't think its a case of "fearing" each other, more of a case of which becomes most popular.

MS is popular because its rammed down the throats of the end-user. On a worldwide scale its accepted as the norm.

My perceptions of Linux are changing, At first Linux for me was a wierd OS that was used by techies and nerds. now, its still used by techies and nerds, however, with distros like ubuntu, its getting easier to fall in love with it (and not feel like your hacking).

ultimately, I think the best approach would be to get them to coincide with each other. like developement houses releasing both M$ and Linux editions of software.

Vista was/is a disaster, I'm sure 7 will be exactly the same. Which is a shame, since XP (for me, anyway) was revolutionary and actually work.

perlluver
November 18th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Linux is Linux, it will still be there in the morning, waiting for more people to come on over. Windows 7 will come out, and it may or may not work, and when and if it doesn't work, hello Linux. Same thing as Vista, not really all that different.

If Windows comes out and is that good that everyone jumps over, I still won't because Linux works for me and is absolutely free. Can't beat a Free OS.

Sealbhach
November 18th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I don't think "bringing Linux down" is anything to worry about. IF W7 is a success on netbooks (and that remains to be seen) then the gradual spread of Linux machines might slightly decelerate. Who knows, things change fast and the new ARM netbooks look very promising - a battery that lasts all day!

mkrahmeh
November 18th, 2008, 01:18 AM
the article actually sheds the light upon the very same issue with linux, viz. that ppl are used to windows and find linux hard to use, or at least, no manner of occasion on learning new OS.

all in all, i dont really like the whole competition thing, linux is supposed to be a non-profit community, while windows is a brand name that wants to be sold in the market, and i believe nothing is wrong about that..nothing is perfect anyway

smoker
November 18th, 2008, 01:30 AM
it is the good quality hardware that is becoming cheaper and cheaper that microsoft has to fear more than linux. oems probably won't be to happy spending as much as it costs to manufacture a netbook on the operating system as well, basically doubling it's price! hardware is is getting cheaper and cheaper as time marches on, microsoft will have to decide to either cut right back on the price it will charge, or come up with another strategy. years ago, when it cost £1000 for a computer, then £50 for windows may have been acceptable. paying £50 for an operating system to run a netbook that will sell for probably around £100 doesn't seem so reasonable. just my opinion!

anyway, it is not a competition, and linux will stay around, and improve, as it does,

Sealbhach
November 18th, 2008, 01:31 AM

all in all, i dont really like the whole competition thing, linux is supposed to be a non-profit community,

Not true, Red Hat and Novell try to make a profit, and why not?

david_lynch
November 18th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Canonical too - and more power to them!

SuperSonic4
November 18th, 2008, 02:58 AM
There are distros being used worldwide in the public sector. And once Linux pcs are in schools the amount of users will rise rapidly.

ade234uk
November 18th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I'm really bored of these morons writing articles like this, when they don't really have a bloody clue about Linux in the first place. I think deep down they are scared because they know Linux really is a threat and will do whatever they can to rubbish it.

What with the Global credit crunch, companies cannot afford to keep paying MS, so Linux is a very very viable option at the moment and will be for many years to come.

ronnielsen1
November 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ubuntu set to debut on netbooks

Mobile phone chip designer Arm has announced an alliance with the makers of the Ubuntu open source software.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7729978.stm

I guess we will see how it goes. I think I'll continue using linux. The windows 7 beta seems as resource hungry as vista and of course no options to do anything.

iponeverything
November 18th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I don't think microsoft or linux have anything to worry about.

As long as linux is relevant and useful it will continue grow and thrive -- irrespective of anything that ms does. The same goes for ms. The big difference is - linux does not need to please shareholders, pay employees or make a profit -- all linux has to do is please its users and its users have full control over whether it does that or not.

mkrahmeh
November 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM

as far as i know, they don't sell linux..they sell support, and that's quite clever in doin business without disturbing the community..right?

forrestcupp
November 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Windows is never going to bring Linux down, and Linux is sure as heck never going to bring Windows down.

Why can't people just use what they enjoy using and not be mad at others who enjoy using something different.

mkrahmeh
November 18th, 2008, 11:32 PM
and i think its a bit harsh to refer to microsoft as M$..

Sealbhach
November 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Why can't people just use what they enjoy using and not be mad at others who enjoy using something different.

Tell that to Steve Ballmer...

Xanatos Craven
November 19th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Neither fears the other. The closest thing that Microsoft really has to an enemy is Apple, a rivalry that I doubt will ever amount to anything as long as MS continues to develop its Office suite for OS X and Apple keeps on being... well, Apple. Linux is open-source and will always appeal to geeks and freetards more than the other two main players, no matter what they do, so market forces can't kill it.

Frak
November 19th, 2008, 12:33 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7729978.stm

I guess we will see how it goes. I think I'll continue using linux. The windows 7 beta seems as resource hungry as vista and of course no options to do anything.
Don't know which one you're using. Windows 7 runs fine on my old Pentium 4 1.4GHz with 512MB SDRAM.

ronnielsen1
November 19th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Don't know which one you're using. Windows 7 runs fine on my old Pentium 4 1.4GHz with 512MB SDRAM.
Surprises me. It's not a bad system for a beta but an lxde or a fluxbox wm will run circles around it. It seems faster than Vista - not sure what the hardware specs are.

Frak
November 19th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Surprises me. It's not a bad system for a beta but an lxde or a fluxbox wm will run circles around it. It seems faster than Vista - not sure what the hardware specs are.
Of course, though, Microsoft didn't aim for maximum lite-ness. They aimed for a visually pleasing system that ran smoother than Vista on lower end hardware.

Rokurosv
November 19th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Well I've tried Linpus on an Acer and I was amazed, it ran pretty good. I wonder how 'lite' will they make the OS to make it netbook friendly. The UI seems more cleaned up, but deep down it's Vista SP2 with a facelift. I think the only thing Microsoft has as an upper hand is marketing. I've never seen a single distro/linux add on TV or magazines.

Capt. Mac
November 19th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Linux does not fear Microsoft; GNU/Linux need not fear anything, for that matter.

Free Software is an interesting platform because it is simply impossible for competition to 'drive it out of business.' Regardless of the success or deterioration of Microsoft Windows, or any other OS for that matter, GNU/Linux will continue to improve on it's own accord. Even if major Linux developers like Red Hat, Novell, and Canonical fell apart, GNU/Linux would survive and continue to be improved, albeit perhaps more slowly. There will always be a developer, paid or otherwise, around to pick up the pieces.

Proprietary software, on the other hand, would never see improvements again if the companies producing it were dismantled.

Microsoft may or may not fear Linux, but it is definitely not 'the other way around.'

forrestcupp
November 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Tell that to Steve Ballmer...

Steve Ballmer is just as ridiculous as Richard Stallman. ;)

SuperSonic4
November 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Neither fears the other because they can coexist, even looking here there are a lot of dual booting members with windows and linux on the same computer.

Yownanymous
November 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
To be honest, I think that it's not going to change much. I think that Micro$oft (and I do the $ on purpose!!!) are going to be totally owned again.

----------------
Now playing: Pink Floyd - Echoes (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/pink+floyd/track/echoes)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

sharp65
November 19th, 2008, 08:29 PM
To be honest, I think that it's not going to change much. I think that Micro$oft (and I do the $ on purpose!!!) are going to be totally owned again.

----------------
Now playing: Pink Floyd - Echoes (http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/pink+floyd/track/echoes)
via FoxyTunes (http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/)

Oh man, a companies goal is to make money? Who would of thought that. :confused: Microsoft has no reason to fear linux.

crazyfuturamanoob
November 19th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Linux has one thing Windows will NEVER have: Open Source

They gotta get money to keep running,
and they won't get it with open source.

That's why Microsoft will never defeat Linux.

forrestcupp
November 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
The Windows community is much more than just a proprietary OS. There is tons of Open Source software in the Windows world. And just because they program for the Windows environment doesn't make their open source efforts any less noble.

I use OpenOffice.org, GNUcash, Gimp, Audacity, Hydrogen, Super Tux, Tux Paint, Tux Racer, Neverball, GCompris, Childsplay, and many others, and I do it all from within Windows.

fatality_uk
November 19th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I really don't care.

PlusOne

Frak
November 20th, 2008, 12:07 AM

They gotta get money to keep running,
and they won't get it with open source.

That's why Microsoft will never defeat Linux.
You'd be surprised how many obvious Windows services are Open Source (by law). The TCP/IP stack for Windows is available to registered MSDN developers. The TTLD discovery service in Vista is undergoing a series of development to prepare it for its source release for Linux/UNIX interoperability.

Now, then, that's as much as I can tell you. kthxbai

SoftwareExplorer
August 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM
As far a the fear thing, who cares? I think that the extremists from both sides do. Stallman will fear something becoming proprietary or being patented. Ballmer will fear that Microsoft will fail. (Actually, they could keep on making computer mice, but I don't think that's a very lucrative business.)

First, no matter what microsoft does, linux will continue--there will always be someone messing with it, even if it was illegal.

I think linux will continue to gain ground, even if it doesn't ever have a surge in popularity. As more users come to it because of its ever increasing features, a small slice of them will happen to be software developers. Some of those will join the linux force. Therefore, I believe it will continue to grow slowly.

starcannon
August 11th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Doh, thanks for the heads up Sealbhach. Argh. Removed my post.
http://citron.blueboard.cz/obrazky/zombie-psp.jpg

Sealbhach
August 12th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Zombie thread! :shock:

MikeTheC
August 12th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I dunno if Microsoft "fears" Linux (then again, I think their management is pretty over-confident and stupid) but I can guarantee the Linux community of un-herdable felines doesn't give a d@mn about Microsoft.

MikeTheC
August 12th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Zombie thread! :shock:

No, it's a Rob Zombie thread...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Robzombiegfdl.PNG/220px-Robzombiegfdl.PNG