PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is bridging what I need?

Xyem
November 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I've got a laptop that I use the wireless with but the signal is very low due to me being in a different building to the router. I have a server set up in this building which is connected to the router over ethernet which is running Ubuntu 7.04 ( I think.. will be upgrading to Hardy once I move all the stuff off it ).

I have a USB wireless dongle thing which I know works under Linux ( the assistant in Comet let me open a box to try it before purchase! ) and I was thinking.. if I connect the USB dongle to my server, could I connect my laptop to that instead and then use the ethernet connection ( which should result in a overall speed boost due to the stronger Wifi signal ).

I've done a quick search and I think that bridging the USB wireless interface and the wired on the server would be just the ticket. Is this the right path to go down? Any tips or recommendations?

Xyem
November 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I had a play with bridging and I got it to work.. sort of.

When I connected to the ad-hoc wireless ( which was part of the bridge ), nm-applet would show 0% signal and transfer speed was ~10kb/s..