PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Orporg
December 3rd, 2005, 08:41 PM
The forum software instructed me to introduce myself in this forum, so I figured I might as well.

I'm trying out Ubuntu mostly for "educational" purposes. I'm trying to learn a little more about Linux, especially in the case that I ever need to deal with X Windows or a shell account.

I read the thread on how certain kinds of users are the worst ones to try and convert. Windows (or Mac) power users were said to be the hardest and most "troll" like. I actually tend to agree. And as I probably fit the definition of a Windows/Mac power user I'll have to be extra careful not to step on anyone's toes.

I actually don't have a dog in the operating system fight. I figure as long as you can get things done, people should use whatever they want. My favorite OS of all time is probably Mac OS 9 but I'm not married to any one OS.

I frequently have to go back and forth between Windows XP, Mac OS X, Mac OS 9 and occasionally MS-DOS so I may not be quite as persnitckety as some Windows people.

I intend to try Slackware at some point (if I can find an ATX case for my PII motherboard) to get a better feel for command lines and frustration. At the moment, however, I'd like to see how far I can get with a Linux GUI and sort of "evaluate" it.

I hail from the United States of America.

bwog
December 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
Hi Orporg,

This board isnt necessarily about converting users. I use windows next to ubuntu for games, and because it is familiar. OSX is unix, I think, and Macs are great if you can afford them.

Good luck with your installation.

invalid
December 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
OSX is unix
I am afraid not, my friend :) Try apple.

Cheers,
Cb

Orporg
December 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
Yeah, OS X is UNIX. As I understand it, Apple built a graphical layer and stuff on top of a UNIX system. I still prefer OS 9 but OS X is rock solid stable.

I primarily use Windows for games too. Macs are damned expensive but if you have an old monitor and keyboard you can get Mac Minis which are pretty cheap. I'll probably get one of those when I can afford it. I wanted to get an eMac someday, but Apple has restricted their sale.

rzamparello
December 3rd, 2005, 10:04 PM
Hi...
my son introduced me to this kicking and screaming...my dad set up computer
systems for dow internatinal in europe and central-south america and when I lived
The Hague(Netherlands)during the mid 60's we were doing computer programming
with those little tapes that were filled with holes....
Now I am trying to adapt to this. I am very DOS educated so sometimes it seems simple...but right now I would pay for a linux version of SIMS.

Orporg
December 4th, 2005, 01:52 AM
I cut my teeth in DOS too. I almost have to wonder if that's worse for me, because I keep expecting a command line to act like DOS. And I never did get in really deep with DOS, like learning to write batch files from scratch.

I find myself intrigued by the little I've read about this Latex application though....