PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Opening applications in specific desktops & conky issue

PHi11Y
November 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Hey everyone :) long time lurker, first time poster.

After seeing this (http://lifehacker.com/5054241/wallpaper-your-desktops-by-context) post on lifehacker, I set about creating my own version of these wallpapers/"themed desktops". I've now got 7 desktops (office, browse, social, dev, media, draw, game), but I want to set certain applications to open in each one; such as obviously OOo and Evolution to open in Office (Desktop1), Firefox in Browse, Pidgin in social, terminal/dolphin/eclipse in dev, and so on.

Unfortunately, after an hour or so of playing around with various settings (mainly in CCSM since i've got my desktops set up there, so tell me if that's the wrong idea), I've come up with no methods. Since I use both the gnome-panel menu applet and gnome-do to open my applications, I'd rather not have to edit the shortcuts; I'd rather the window manager handled which application goes on which desktop by default.

Also, when using CCSM to set my desktops, conky refuses to use transparency on each desktop to show the background? Instead, it has an image of what I'd set the default background as under gnome's settings (also, I disabled /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop in gconf-editor to get the CCSM desktop-specific wallpapers working).

Thanks!