PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound disappeared!!!

xaber1488
November 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hi there.

I have a little problem
I installed ubuntu 8.10 and the flash and divx plugins. Everything went smoothly and worked correctly, but, at a cenrtain point, I couldn't play some flv video on the net with firefox and totem, when I trie to view precedently viewed videos, crashed. So, I restarted my pc, but, believing it was blocked when I saw the "shutting down alsa" message with the cursor not moving, I shut down the pc directly with the pc button (damn! I come from windows!!),
When I turned on the pc and started ubuntu, no sound were present anymore, or better: there is a very very light sound, but is only a distorted sound, like a disturb (i can hear no clear sound).
Now, I found that the audio driver is INTEL HD (Alsa mixer) and I think I made a huge mistake shutting the pc down without waiting.

What can I do? Sorry, but I'm a total linux noob!!!

Ganael
December 21st, 2008, 02:56 AM
try to disable the login sounds in System>Administration>Login Window
under Accessibility
that helped for me :)

RJARRRPCGP
December 21st, 2008, 03:21 AM
When I turned on the pc and started ubuntu, no sound were present anymore, or better: there is a very very light sound, but is only a distorted sound, like a disturb (i can hear no clear sound).
Now, I found that the audio driver is INTEL HD (Alsa mixer) and I think I made a huge mistake shutting the pc down without waiting.

What can I do? Sorry, but I'm a total linux noob!!!

I had that with a SoundBlaster Live, (AFAIK) because it got loose in the PCI slot. The fix was to reseat the sound card.