PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CD Drive can't read install CD

Bearly Able
November 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to Ubuntu forums and I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've searched and can't find anything.

We have a laptop running Ubuntu 8.10 (it came pre-installed) and we like it so much we want to dual-boot our PC. We have a second, unused hard-drive already installed. I have downloaded and burned an ISO CD, but the PC will not boot from it. I've checked the BIOS is set to boot from the CD drive, but all I can get is a message stating "No bootable disk in drive".

The CD works fine in my Ubuntu laptop. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Lesley

overdrank
November 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to Ubuntu forums and I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I've searched and can't find anything.

We have a laptop running Ubuntu 8.10 (it came pre-installed) and we like it so much we want to dual-boot our PC. We have a second, unused hard-drive already installed. I have downloaded and burned an ISO CD, but the PC will not boot from it. I've checked the BIOS is set to boot from the CD drive, but all I can get is a message stating "No bootable disk in drive".

The CD works fine in my Ubuntu laptop. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Lesley

Hi and welcome, You may try and burn the cd at a slower speed and this link may help also
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Bearly Able
November 18th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Hi and welcome, You may try and burn the cd at a slower speed and this link may help also
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

Hi again and thanks,

I've tried burning at a slower speed, using the laptop and a different programme, but still get "No bootable device found". (Sorry - got that wrong in my original post.) I've also tried an older version of Ubuntu that came free with the Apress manual, but with the same result. The laptop can read all three. Any further suggestions?

Thanks again.

Lesley

overdrank
November 18th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Hi again and thanks,

I've tried burning at a slower speed, using the laptop and a different programme, but still get "No bootable device found". (Sorry - got that wrong in my original post.) I've also tried an older version of Ubuntu that came free with the Apress manual, but with the same result. The laptop can read all three. Any further suggestions?

Thanks again.

Lesley

My next step would be to change the cd drive in the desktop and see if that works.

Roger Gundberg
November 18th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Hi! Have you cleaned the Read/Write head on the DVD/CD unit itself? I use the Philips Laser Lens Cleaner. It resembles a CD but it has a series of brushes underneath. Hope this helps.

Bearly Able
November 18th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Hi again and thanks for suggestions.

I have cleaned the CD/DVD. There is no problem with any other CD - data, audio, whatever. I'll try to change the CD drive, but getting hold of a replacement will take me a few days; computer shops are non-existent in this part of the Hebrides. I'll post again when I've found a drive.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Lesley

Bearly Able
February 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM
Hi again,

Apologies for taking so long - Christmas, 'flu, etc. intervened. I finally managed to change the CD-drive and can run Ubuntu just fine from that. (Am awaiting new hard drive to install it, but that's another story!)

Thanks for the help.

Lesley