PDA

View Full Version : If you use gnome, do you like using QT apps?

hessiess
November 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM
What do you feel about using QT applications in a primearlly GNOME/GTK+ environment.

As I mainly use GTK apps, I'm not exactly enthusiastic when an application I was using a lot suddenly switches from GTK+ or WX to QT, like VLC did. Firstly QT applications don't look right in a GTK+ desktop, and secondly a number of extra dependency's are needed. Because of this I normally avoid QT apps like the plague.

gn2
November 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I don't care, if I like an app I just use it.

Bölvağur
November 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I do not use mixture of kde and gnome applications, but I wouldn't care too much about it if I did.
I dont like the extra baggage kde applications need (libraries) but it isn't that big of a deal I guess when you begin to think about it.

rudihawk
November 17th, 2008, 01:06 PM

What he said.

insane_alien
November 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
i honestly couldn't care less. my harddrive isn't going to run out of space from a few extra libraries and i have oodles of RAM(8GB)

Kosimo
November 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I always avoid using QT apps... (Damn I would love using amarok!) :(

billgoldberg
November 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I really hate using qt apps in gnome.

The only time I install such an app is when I don't realize it's qt.

amauk
November 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
I wouldn't say a mixture, but I do use 1 or 2
(Google Earth & Ktorrent)

a little off topic,
but is there any technical reason why APIs can't be shared across desktop environments?

Seems a little odd that applications should be tied to a particular DE
The fact that you can run QT apps on Gnome & GTK+ on KDE means there's no functional difference, why not abstract the APIs out to a generic DE model?

gn2
November 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
What he said.

But I could be a she...
Cue big pointless gender quiz thread....?

No, let's not go there again :D

Onyros
November 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Only k* app I use is k3b, and that's only because Recorder (http://code.google.com/p/recorder/)'s a little unreliable with my DVD recorder.

Other than that, I used Psi, but replaced all my IM apps with irssi + bitlbee, so that one's also gone.

So, that just leaves Opera. :)

Chame_Wizard
November 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I use QT :guitar:

the yawner
November 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
The recent version of Virtualbox improved a bit over it's appearance intergration with my Ubuntu setup. Not quite there yet but much better than the previous version. Now if it would be possible for some apps such as this to just follow the icon theme.

brunovecchi
November 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I read somewhere that the next Qt version will include gtkstyle. This means that qt apps will seamlessly integrate with GTK out of the box.

AndyCooll
November 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'll install a qt app if I need it. Currently don't have any need, though I've quite happily used Amarok, K3B, KTorrent etc in the past.

And since there isn't an option which fits the views I've expressed I haven't voted. I'd have preferred a vote that says something like "I prefer gtk+ apps, however I'm happy to use qt apps as and when I need them". "I don't like qt apps" and "I use a mixture" doesn't fit my viewpoint.

:cool:

RiceMonster
November 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I don't use GNOME, and I don't like using QT/KDE apps. Right now I'm using Xfce, though I often use Openbox as well.

cb951303
November 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
It's no longer an issue: http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/05/13/introducing-qgtkstyle/

even the file dialogs are native GTK. I actually can't tell the difference. It's mostly because it uses GTK to draw QT widgets. It's more than a style in my opinion. Firefox and OpenOffice do a much worse job at integrating with GTK. If someone uses Firefox I see no reason for him to not to use QT apps now that we have qgtkstyle

yavez
November 17th, 2008, 02:53 PM
No QT apps here. They just don't feel right to me, I can't fully explain why, but there's something about QT that is awkward compared to Gnome/GTK I've tried K3b and Amarok but I don't find them any better than Brasero and Banshee. So as of this moment I'm all Gnome/GTK.

juanmoreno92
November 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I don't like using QT in GNOME because when I use compiz-fusion the drop down menus use the same effects as a regular window instead of a dropdown window. It get's pretty annoying and had to drop opera. I also dropped vlc because it's QT interface is hidious.

k@e
November 17th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't mind using Qt apps more if they looked the same as GTK apps. Sure, there already is QGtkStyle which is a good start but right now the fonts look different if you use slight or medium font hinting. Qt4.5 will fix this and it comes bundled with QGtkStyle. I hope Qt4.5 will arrive soon enough to make it into Jaunty.

scragar
November 17th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I can't live without ktorrent, it's so simple and powerfull...

I'm gonna try deluge at some point, see if that works better.

Other than that I don't run so much QT stuff on XFCE or gnome, it's not like it's a big price to pay in terms of libs etc required though.

cb951303
November 17th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't mind using Qt apps more if they looked the same as GTK apps. Sure, there already is QGtkStyle which is a good start but right now the fonts look different if you use slight or medium font hinting. Qt4.5 will fix this and it comes bundled with QGtkStyle. I hope Qt4.5 will arrive soon enough to make it into Jaunty.

you can easily fix fonts, google has the answer. It's a matter of creating a simple hidden config file in your home directory.

miggols99
November 17th, 2008, 07:58 PM
i don't care, if i like an app i just use it.
+1

I use loads of Gtk apps in KDE 4, but I only use them because they are better or there is no KDE 4 equivalent available.

happysmileman
November 17th, 2008, 08:05 PM
It's no longer an issue: http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2008/05/13/introducing-qgtkstyle/

even the file dialogs are native GTK. I actually can't tell the difference. It's mostly because it uses GTK to draw QT widgets. It's more than a style in my opinion. Firefox and OpenOffice do a much worse job at integrating with GTK. If someone uses Firefox I see no reason for him to not to use QT apps now that we have qgtkstyle

If only GTK made this effort (I can use qtk-qt-engine or whatever it's called but that's very ugly and buggy IMO.)

FuturePilot
November 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM
The argument that Qt apps don't look right in Gnome is a non-issue anymore.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=794652
Also Qt != KDE. Qt apps usually don't have a whole lot of depends like a KDE app might.

That being said, I don't care. I use a number of Qt apps and I like them. And they look just like GTK.

cb951303
November 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
If only GTK made this effort (I can use qtk-qt-engine or whatever it's called but that's very ugly and buggy IMO.)

agreed! it would be a huge step towards unification of linux desktop.

happysmileman
November 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM
The argument that Qt apps don't look right in Gnome is a non-issue anymore.

But the argument that GTK apps don't look right in KDE still stands unfortunately, because Qt made the effort to alleviate the problem, GTK didn't.

*ducks*

mrgnash
November 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I answered "other", because now that it's trivial to theme QT apps to look like GTK, the problem of such and such an app looking "out of place" is virtually a thing of the past. However, I still don't use any QT apps at the moment, because, well, there simply aren't any that I really like. I far prefer the Banshee 1.x series to Amarok, Pidgin to Kopete (Jabbim may be one to watch in the future though), Firefox/Epiphany to Opera/Konqueror, Evince to Okular, and I stopped using LyX long ago. Apart from that, I work mostly with the CLI, so whatever.

Polygon
November 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
with qgtklooks or whatever i don't care if an app is qt. i however, wont use very many KDE programs in gnome.

Vadi
November 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I prefer to stay away because Qt 4 + nvidia drivers + compiz = bugginess in displaying.

I don't care who's fault is it either.

Polygon
November 18th, 2008, 03:02 AM
i have not noticed any buggyness and i use two qt programs a lot (handbrake and VLC), what exactly are you talking about?

cardinals_fan
November 18th, 2008, 03:05 AM
A combination of 1 and 4. I use minimal GTK apps and CLI apps.

jhf429
November 18th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I use a mix of both. I just try to stay away from KDE applications because they tend to look horrid and also seem less stable (under gnome).

Vadi
November 18th, 2008, 04:02 AM
The rendering isn't accomplished in time, and is broken. It'll either tear in half itself or require a mouse-click to repait properly.

just a pita really. unfortunately I have to use this for one of my apps.

SomeGuyDude
November 18th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I avoid QT unless I absolutely need a given app. Right now, Picard is the only one.

doorknob60
November 18th, 2008, 05:03 AM

Yeah, I use an Openbox setup (primarily GTK stuff), but I use VLC, Amarok, and other random stuff too. With Qgtkstyle it makes things blend in real well (with the exception of Amarok, I'm not using Amarok2 and qgtkstyle doesn't work on Qt3 apps)

burnetbj
November 18th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I get around in the Gnome desktop better but i love k3b, ktorrent, Amarok, and even Dolphine wish they would all just come together and build one sweet Distro

Sorivenul
November 18th, 2008, 05:12 AM
a combination of 1 and 4. I use minimal gtk apps and cli apps.

+1

Foster Grant
November 18th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I'm almost all GTK except for Fontmatrix (font manager, which is a must-have for me) and Scribus (desktop publishing).

Exaile seems to be a capable stand-in for Amarok and doesn't come with all the KDE baggage. Haven't gotten too deeply into Exaile yet, though.

master5o1
November 18th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I have VLC installed, and that looks decent. I will generally prefer which ever version (GTK or QT) of a program by which looks better. Avidemux looks better as GTK, so I'll use the GTK.

Depends on program-by-program basis.

mips
November 18th, 2008, 10:03 AM
But the argument that GTK apps don't look right in KDE still stands unfortunately, because Qt made the effort to alleviate the problem, GTK didn't.

*ducks*

+1

No need to duck as it is the truth.

samjh
November 18th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I use whatever program is appropriate for my needs, regardless of its GUI style.

As I mainly use GTK apps, I'm not exactly enthusiastic when an application I was using a lot suddenly switches from GTK+ or WX to QT, like VLC did. Firstly QT applications don't look right in a GTK+ desktop, and secondly a number of extra dependency's are needed. Because of this I normally avoid QT apps like the plague.

That's odd. WxWidgets are extra libraries too, and hardly any program use WxWidgets, while plenty use Qt (and the number is growing). Qt apps also integrate nicely with Gnome and Xfce now, thanks to the recent incorporation of Cleanlooks style, and the new QGtkStyle which should ship with Qt pretty soon.

Kazade
November 18th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I'd just like to point out that wxWidgets is a bit different coz it uses native APIs to render the widgets... it uses GTK+ on Linux, Win32 on Windows etc.

Now of course, if you are using wxWidgets on KDE, then it would be the same using GTK+ apps under KDE.

samjh
November 18th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I'd just like to point out that wxWidgets is a bit different coz it uses native APIs to render the widgets... it uses GTK+ on Linux, Win32 on Windows etc

I would like to point out Qt4 apps now integrate perfectly with Gnome/GTK-based environments by using QGtkStyle, which uses GTK+ to draw widgets.

Now, this must be about the hundredth time it has been mentioned. QGtkStyle has been around for more than 5 months, and Qt4 Settings (which allows Gnome users to choose Cleanlooks as the Qt4 theme) has been around for well over a year. So it's high time that this myth about Qt's ugliness is gotten over with.

Yes, I'm annoyed by outdated nonsense (not just about Qt apps, the community is plagued by people spouting obsolete information on a variety of topics). ;)

Spr0k3t
November 18th, 2008, 04:00 PM
QT apps look so out of place in a gnome environment. Especially if you use the file dialog... hideous it is.

hessiess
November 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I use whatever program is appropriate for my needs, regardless of its GUI style.

That's odd. WxWidgets are extra libraries too, and hardly any program use WxWidgets, while plenty use Qt (and the number is growing). Qt apps also integrate nicely with Gnome and Xfce now, thanks to the recent incorporation of Cleanlooks style, and the new QGtkStyle which should ship with Qt pretty soon.

At least WX wraps over the native tool kits, so it always looks native.

Kazade
November 18th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I would like to point out Qt4 apps now integrate perfectly with Gnome/GTK-based environments by using QGtkStyle, which uses GTK+ to draw widgets.

Now, this must be about the hundredth time it has been mentioned. QGtkStyle has been around for more than 5 months, and Qt4 Settings (which allows Gnome users to choose Cleanlooks as the Qt4 theme) has been around for well over a year. So it's high time that this myth about Qt's ugliness is gotten over with.

Yes, I'm annoyed by outdated nonsense (not just about Qt apps, the community is plagued by people spouting obsolete information on a variety of topics). ;)

I'm a little confused as to why you quoted me in your post... I didn't say anything about QT not fitting in, I was just mentioning that wxWidgets is a completely different beast to GTK+ and QT. I also mentioned that GTK+ doesn't fit into KDE well, not the other way round.

I admit, I don't use QT apps under GNOME but not because they look bad or anything I just like having a consistent desktop (menus, icons, dialogs etc.).

SeanHodges
November 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM

He didn't even mention QT in his post, did you quote the wrong person?

lifestream
November 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Hmmm you missed an option on your little poll.
I don't use Qt apps (Except Vbox) because I don't like any.
I've been with linux since 1997, but I always came back to windows because of KDE. When I found GNOME, I was happy and stayed :D

chucky chuckaluck
November 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM
if i can get everything more or less colored the same, i'm happy.

http://e.imagehost.org/t/0044/blblscr.jpg (http://e.imagehost.org/view/0044/blblscr.jpg)

ShodanjoDM
November 18th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Only Qt4 apps: VLC, SMPlayer (Gnome Mplayer just doesn't have as much configuration options), Acetone ISO2, Dolphin and SMILE slideshow maker.

Ofcourse the qgtkstyle plugin is a must.

samjh
November 19th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I'm a little confused as to why you quoted me in your post... I didn't say anything about QT not fitting in, I was just mentioning that wxWidgets is a completely different beast to GTK+ and QT. I also mentioned that GTK+ doesn't fit into KDE well, not the other way round.

I admit, I don't use QT apps under GNOME but not because they look bad or anything I just like having a consistent desktop (menus, icons, dialogs etc.).

He didn't even mention QT in his post, did you quote the wrong person?

I think there might be a bit of miscommunication here.

Kazade replied directly after me, so I presumed by context that he was replying to my post. My post just prior to Kazade's post was in reply to the OP, which states that he doesn't like it when GTK+ or Wx apps are ported to Qt, and then goes to state his reasons, which include the notion that Qt apps "don't look right", and that Qt apps require extra dependencies.

So I replied with counter-arguments to both of the OP's reasons. As Kazade replied directly after my post without specifying whether he was replying to the OP, me, or anyone else, It appeared that he was trying to counter my counter-argument about Qt apps integrate well with GTK-based desktops, hence my subsequent reply.