PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wastebasket issue

beercz
November 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hi all

I originally posted this in general help (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=984242), but it seems that no one could help me, so I thought I would try here instead.

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, I have searched extensively to no avail.

Mods, please merge threads if necessary.

I have a strange problem concerning my wastebasket.

Irrespective of whether I have items in the waste basket or not, it seems that when I open the wastebasket, gnome completely freezes for about 2 minutes.

Then I can use some of the other applications (firefox for example), but I cannot user the Applications, Places or System menus, nor can I click on any of the icons on the panel to launch any application.

I cannot use the waste basket at all, including any of the menu items. I also notice that my workspace switcher "shrinks" - each workspace window is about a quarter of it's normal size.

The only way I can close wastebasket is to force it closed (by clicking on the X on the top right of the window) and then I am asked to wait or force close. I force it.

Then everything returns to normal, except for the wastebasket.

I have checked the permissions and owner on ~/.local/shared/Trash:

sudo chown -R ian ~/.local/shared/Trash
sudo chmod -R 700 ~/.local/shared/TrashI have even deleted the Trash folder and recreated the tree:

sudo rm -rf ~/.local/shared/Trash
mkdir ~/.local/shared/Trash
mkdir ~/.local/shared/Trash/files
mkdir ~/.local/shared/Trash/info The problem still persists and I don't know what to do next.

I have temporarily removed the wastebasket icon from my panel, and I am not running compiz.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone able to fix this or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.