PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Graphics card opinions wanted

dri
November 17th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Dear Ubuntu community.
I recently bought a new computer based on the Intel G45 chipset. The mobo is solid as rock and worked flawlessly with Intrepid 64-bit.

The built-in VGA chip does not deliver the performance I could hope for. No XvMC, maximum texture size of 2048x2048 (dual-head, large resolutions), timing issues with resolutions above 1440x900. In due time both XvMC and the timing issues will be resolved but I want a prompt resolution which is throwing more hardware at the problem.

I want your opinions on what graphics card I should begin to look at. I prioritize open drivers and full compiz support somewhere in the $200 bracket.

starcannon
November 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Full Open drivers with the performance you want is going to be tough; however, if your open (enjoy the pun) to a closed source card, you just can't beat an nvidia 7950gt or 8xxx series GT. If OSS drivers are the only way to fly for you then consider the Intel X3100 its a pretty nice card and I believe it does what your asking (looks around for others to confirm as I'm too lazy to verify atm hehe).

GL and keep your options open

dri
November 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM
...keep your options open
I indeed tend to keep my mind open. I have a 8800GT in one of my other boxes. I'm not very impressed by NVidia. The 2D performance is laughable. Scrolling in Firefox kneel the CPU's and audio starts to stutter. If I remember correctly, that was exactly what happened 12 years ago when I played an mp3 for the first time on Windows 95 when I scrolled in a text file. I'd like something that has evolved beyond that.

Eddie Wilson
November 17th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I would look at Ati now. They have surpassed Nvidia in linux support and their performance is very good. I've always used Nvidia with linux for years and I finally relize that they really have no intentions of ever opening up their drivers for us to look at. Its time to support someone else.

starcannon
November 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I indeed tend to keep my mind open. I have a 8800GT in one of my other boxes. I'm not very impressed by NVidia. The 2D performance is laughable. Scrolling in Firefox kneel the CPU's and audio starts to stutter. If I remember correctly, that was exactly what happened 12 years ago when I played an mp3 for the first time on Windows 95 when I scrolled in a text file. I'd like something that has evolved beyond that.

Hmm, strange, with exception of a few integrated boards, all I run is Nvidia; I caretake 6 of my own machines and 5 client machines running nvidia, and none of those problems occur for me.
I wish you peace and happiness. Go for an ATi or Intel X3100, that should do the trick.