PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Soundblaster Live! card not detected or not working

tee2
November 17th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I just put it in an old computer for my brother because his onboard sound wasn't working so I thought I'd try this SoundBlaster Live card. Turns out still no sound. I went into synaptic and reinstalled alsa and some other sound related packages hoping that would get things go to no avail. Please help so my brother won't have an excuse to use my computer. :)

This is Xubuntu 8.10 btw.

Thanks.

tee2
November 19th, 2008, 04:17 AM
bump

Anyone have any ideas?

tee2
November 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM
bump

Any ideas??

tee2
November 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Can someone please help??

tee2
November 22nd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Wow. Can no one help? :(

cariboo
November 22nd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Could you paste the output of:

sudo lshw -C sound

This will show the if the driver is loaded.

You may want to try double-clicking the sound icon in the upper panel and make sure the Master and PCM controls are turned up all the way.

Jim

tee2
November 22nd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Could you paste the output of:

sudo lshw -C sound

This will show the if the driver is loaded.

You may want to try double-clicking the sound icon in the upper panel and make sure the Master and PCM controls are turned up all the way.

Jim

*-multimedia UNCLAIMED
description: Multimedia audio controller
product: SB Live! EMU10k1
vendor: Creative Labs
physical id: a
bus info: pci@0000:02:0a.0
version: 0a
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=64 maxlatency=20 mingnt=2

When I double click on the sound icon no controls are displayed by the way. The program opens but there are no sliders.

tee2
November 24th, 2008, 06:50 AM
bump

tee2
November 28th, 2008, 04:23 AM
bump

XaeroDegreaz
November 28th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I'm not an expert on Linux, but your output shows that the sound card "UNCLAIMED" which probably means that the system has detected it, but has not assigned the hardware to use the drivers.

I'm having a problem getting my SB Live card to work as well, but my card doesn't say unclaimed.

Try installing all of the alsa drivers. You can search for them in the Synaptic Package Manager.

It's worked for me before, but for some reason it isn't working for me this time (Just switched from Kubuntu to Xubuntu and trying to rmember how I did it before >.<)

Good luck.