PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Help with Partitioning for Dual Booting

gjr5017
November 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I have Windows XP Currently installed on my laptop but I want to dual boot it with Ubuntu. I am going to have a partition for XP (around 14 GB for the OS), a partition for Ubuntu (same as Windows), a partition for storage of all my files, and then a 1 or 2 GB linux swap.

My question is using partition magic in Windows, it says that I won't be able to use my linux partition as a boot partition because it is out of the 1024 cylinder or something like that...what does this mean and will I run into any problems or will the GRUB bootloader fix any problems that would arise...

gjr5017
November 17th, 2008, 02:54 PM
This is what my partitions will look like. Is this correct? I have a portion at the beginning for the linux boot files....although I'm not sure how to get the boot files to install there and the OS to install farter back but yea...

I have the windows and linux OS partitions.....I just realized i forgot the Linux swap but that will be right after the windows OS and before the linux OS and then I have all my storage room. Does this seem right?

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/gjr5017/partitions.png