PDA

View Full Version : Computer Audio - What do I get?

Roasted
November 17th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Right now, I've got an Aiwa desktop stereo system rigged up through aux to my computer.

Two speakers. Each speaker has a built in powered sub (90 watt max each) and has a mid range speaker (30 watt max each) for a total max output of 240 watt.

I'm considering on two different things. I looked at the 2.1 system by Logitech which is the Z2300. 200 watt RMS power... 40 per speaker and 120 per sub. That isn't max power, that's RMS power. The only thing is, I read on some newegg reviews that this system doesn't outperform most desktop stereos at the same price... desktop stereo... what I currently have... so I'm not sure if the 105 dollar newegg price tag of the Z2300 would be an "upgrade" from what I already got.

Then, the other option is this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8923702&st=jvc+stereo&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=1214004955099

400 watt max with 2 speakers + 1 sub. Looks pretty decent, but it's also 200 bucks. A bit more than what I was intending to spend, but if it's worth the upgrade I wouldn't mind grabbing it. I'm not sure how it would stack up to what I got, though.

What do you guys think?

Grant A.
November 17th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Well, I would recommend you research if those are ALSA-compatible.

Roasted
November 17th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Why would it matter if they are alsa capable? They're connecting through the green speaker port on my sound card. If my sound card works, it'll just pass the sound straight on through to the stereo, then to the speakers.

I have yet to run into a system, speakers, stereo, headphones, anything that doesn't work with Linux based on "alsa support." It's always been about making sure the SOUND CARD works in Linux, not the actual speaker unit.

Therion
November 17th, 2008, 04:21 AM
What do you guys think?
I'd say it's hard to say. Your Aiwa is producing plenty of power, but how clean is it? How much of an upgrade the newer JVC is, and whether or not it's "$200 worth" is not something anyone here can answer. How much of an audiophile are you? What kind of audio card are you running? These are all questions that are going to bear on whether or not the JVC is going to be an upgrade in your eye's (ear's?) or not, and if so, how much.

I have a set Z-2300's and I love mine, but that doesn't mean you'd love yours over what you have now.

Roasted
November 17th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I have a Turtle Beach Montego DDL 7.1 PCI 24 bit sound card.

I know it's hard to compare without actually hearing them, but I'd like to establish some sort of idea as to whether or not this purchase would be justified.

Also - off topic question... is 20 gauge wire acceptable for a speaker rated @ 30w max?

Therion
November 17th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I have a Turtle Beach Montego DDL 7.1 PCI 24 bit sound card.

I know it's hard to compare without actually hearing them, but I'd like to establish some sort of idea as to whether or not this purchase would be justified.
Sure, totally understood. This is sooooo freakin' subjective though. I dunno... Personally speaking, $200 is a chunk of change if you ask me. I guess I'm thinking my Aiwa would have to be sounding pretty crappy before I'd shell out two-hundred bucks... But that's me.

Honest truth? Here's what you do if you just can't make up your mind. Are you going to a brick & mortar Best Buy? What's their return policy like? If they give you a couple weeks (thirty days???) keep your receipt ALL the packing materials and be very, VERY careful while you decide for yourself if it's worth what you paid out. If the answer is no, haul it all back. It's the only way to know for sure.

Grant A.
November 17th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Why would it matter if they are alsa capable? They're connecting through the green speaker port on my sound card. If my sound card works, it'll just pass the sound straight on through to the stereo, then to the speakers.

I have yet to run into a system, speakers, stereo, headphones, anything that doesn't work with Linux based on "alsa support." It's always been about making sure the SOUND CARD works in Linux, not the actual speaker unit.

Ah, whoops. I thought you were talking about getting a new card aswell.

ghandi69_
November 17th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Hey.

I would recommend going with a receiver and passive speakers. I am currently running a sony receiver with infinity bookshelf speakers.

I would avoid audio systems built by computer peripheral companies (logitech) and stick with speakers / components built by companies who have been in the audio industry for a long time.

blueturtl
November 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Don't stare at wattages. Wattage only tells you how much electricity the speakers can handle. It doesn't necessarily mean it's all converted into sound.

I would avoid audio systems built by computer peripheral companies (logitech) and stick with speakers / components built by companies who have been in the audio industry for a long time.

I also agree with this. Nothing on the shelf from Creative/Logitech/Labtec/Boeder/etc has really convinced me. Of course in a thread like this you are going to get tens of different opinions based on what people prefer.

So what do you prefer? Do you like loud sound? Does output quality matter to you? What is it about your current system that you find lacking so that you're looking to replace them? Help me help you. ;)

Roasted
November 17th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hey.

I would recommend going with a receiver and passive speakers. I am currently running a sony receiver with infinity bookshelf speakers.

What kind of price range would I be looking at for something you're recommending? Also, the receiver you speak of, does it have RCA Aux outputs? I need Aux in order to hook it up to my computer.

mips
November 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
What kind of price range would I be looking at for something you're recommending? Also, the receiver you speak of, does it have RCA Aux outputs? I need Aux in order to hook it up to my computer.

It's going to cost more but you can always pick up bargains at second hand stores. You can even pick up a good older 5.1 A/V receiver for cheap if you keep your eyes open. Why do you need RCA Aux outputs, do you mean Inputs maybe as 99% will have them.

A quality stereo amp + good bookshelve speakers will do the job very well.

Brands like NAD, Rotel, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo & Nakamichi come to mind for amplifiers. For speakers look at B&W (603), Infinity, Polk, Mission, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, PSB, Dynaudio, JLB etc

The speakers & amp you buy should in theory be neutral in sound reproduction. Best way to find out is to listen to them with 'your' music as they will sound different.