PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help! need to make a boot disk from Ubuntu 8.10

aronm3
November 16th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Hi, I have downloaded ubuntu 8.10 I have burned the image to disk.
but that doesn't make a boot disk. I don't understand what iso files specifically that i need to make the boot disk inside the 8.10 iso image.I am planning to dual boot with vista already installed.I've done the prerequisites like shrink the c:drive so that ubuntu will fit,also changed the boot order so that it will boot from the cd.I'm really new to linux so thanks for the assistance!

Neostar
November 16th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I think you burned the image wrong, you need to burn as an .iso image. If your in Windows just use something like ImgBurn and select burn image to disk. Hopefully that should work.

aronm3
November 17th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Hi, I have downloaded ubuntu 8.10 I have burned the image to disk.
but that doesn't make a boot disk. I don't understand what iso files specifically that i need to make the boot disk inside the 8.10 iso image.I am planning to dual boot with vista already installed.I've done the prerequisites like shrink the c:drive so that ubuntu will fit,also changed the boot order so that it will boot from the cd.I'm really new to linux so thanks for the assistance! Should I burn the full ubuntu 8.10 iso to cd as a boot image or select certain files within it to make the boot cd. What are they?

halw
November 17th, 2008, 07:34 AM
You have to burn the full image. I don't even think you can burn selected files.

ramaswamyps
November 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM
if you use nero in windows use burn image to disk otion and burn the iso file downloaded at slow speed.
if the download was ok it will boot up.
press Function key and select safe X boot option.