PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 screen resolution messed up

samrohde
November 16th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I booted my computer and my screen resolution is messed up throughout the entire computer including GRUB and the entire GUI. It took off half a task bar thickness(12 pixels) all the way around. I tried going into System > Preferences > Screen Resolution and I tried every resolution but all of them where the same. I am using an Olevia 232v 32" wide screen TV/Monitor connecting the computer to the TV with a VGA cable. My computer's Video/Graphics card is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, the computer processor is an Intel Celeron Processor 420. I don't know if the CPU is a 32 or a 64 bit, but I am running the 32 bit Ubuntu version. I tried booting into recovery mode and I went to xfix but it didn't fix the problem. How can I fix this problem? I have never had this problem before, until I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from 8.04.

ajgreeny
November 17th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I had a similar problem with my graphics card/monitor setup which I solved by adding the screen information from a previous (dapper?) xorg.conf file to that of 8.10 so it looks like this, with the resolution info included.:-

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Previously I had a problem with the guest login as it would not remember the resolution I set, and I had to reset it each time I logged in as guest. That would be useless for a casual user, of course. Also the login screen was much too large and cut of the options at the bottom, so I could not do anything except login. The xorg.conf changes made all the difference, and now all is well. I thought xorg.conf was now almost un-needed, but it still obviously works.

So, if you know what resolution you need, give a similar manual edit a try; it may just work for you too.