PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no autorun software

crvenokosa13
November 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM
hey,
i'm having a huge problem with my ubuntu! i've recently installed it and i can't install any program on it because whenever i insert a cd or download something from the net it says "couldn't find autorun software" or something like that. can someone help me? i'm sick of not being able to use my computer! thanks!!!

billgoldberg
November 16th, 2008, 11:19 PM
hey,
i'm having a huge problem with my ubuntu! i've recently installed it and i can't install any program on it because whenever i insert a cd or download something from the net it says "couldn't find autorun software" or something like that. can someone help me? i'm sick of not being able to use my computer! thanks!!!

From the sound of it you are thinking you are still on Windows and are downloading .exe installer or install cd's.

--

I suggest you read this:
http://linuxowns.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/ubuntu-the-absolute-beginners-guide/

It's the Ubuntu absolute beginners guide I've written.

starcannon
November 16th, 2008, 11:25 PM
The best way to get software for Ubuntu is to grab it from the repositories. There is a LOT of software there; its located in the menus at:
System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager
If you know what windows equivalent you want, but are not sure what the Ubuntu equivalent would be, the forums is a great place to ask.

GL and have fun.

hey,

crvenokosa13
November 16th, 2008, 11:53 PM
i've tried with add/remove program as it is written in the guide but i still can't install anything from my cd. right now in Sonyericsson PC suite is in the cd rom and i can't find it in the add/remove program.

karlr42
November 17th, 2008, 12:01 AM
That's not quite how it works.
Imagine a giant database of programs online. That's what you see in Add/Remove. When you install from there, you are actually downloading the program from that online database.
That's how you install almost all programs in Linux, you don't use CDs or buy software from a shop and install with the CD - you install from those databases(called repositories). That's why we sayw Linux is not Windows.
For your issue, you probably won't be able to install that Sony Ericsson application- it's designed for Windows.

crvenokosa13
November 17th, 2008, 12:05 AM
in other words- every cd with a programe that i have i won't be able to install because it is made for windows. well, thanks for your help anyway! i think i'll go back to the windows ;)

ajgreeny
November 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM
It is, however, just possible that you may be able to run your Sony-Ericsson software, and other applications you want, with wine, a sort of windows emulator for linux.

However it sounds as if you wanted an operating system that is just like windows but is not windows with all its problems of viruses, etc etc. I'm afraid that's not how things work; if you want to run linux (Ubuntu or any other distro) you will have to forget your old ways and learn something new.

billgoldberg
November 17th, 2008, 12:11 AM
in other words- every cd with a programe that i have i won't be able to install because it is made for windows. well, thanks for your help anyway! i think i'll go back to the windows ;)

Yes, that doesn't mean there aren't alternatives you can use instead.

But do as you please.

SunnyRabbiera
November 17th, 2008, 12:18 AM

You got to be kidding me, this is a lame excuse to chicken out.
We might have stuff to get you up and running if you give us a chance you know.
Look using linux is like using a mac, you have to change your way of thinking and also not jump to conclusions.

starcannon
November 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM
*Looks under the bridge, and is not surprised*

hyper_ch
November 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Have you ever tried to run a playstation 3 game in Wii or Xbox?

scorp123
November 17th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Have you ever tried to run a playstation 3 game in Wii or Xbox? I am sure that there are fools who have tried it ... but the real question is if they had success? :)

crvenokosa13
November 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
yeah i'm a chicken :) BUT after pulling an all-nighter i've figured out the basics. and the reason i'm not using windows anymore is because i need a licence, which of course, i don't have and i don't intend to get one. i guess i'm stuck with linux, so maybe it'll grow on me after some time :) thanks to everyone!

scorp123
November 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM
i guess i'm stuck with linux, so maybe it'll grow on me after some time :) thanks to everyone! Just let go of your "Windows thinking" ...

You most likely don't need a firewall (per default there are no services running that would require a firewall to protect them!). Even if: the functionality is already built into the kernel, it's just a matter of activating it. It's easy if you know how. There are many tutorials on the forums here that will show how to do this if you need to ...
There are _NO_ working viruses on Linux. It's a fact. So you can most likely forget about anti-virus software from now on.
You will hardly ever need to reboot your PC now. Only exceptions: Hardware is failing or you updated the kernel ... everything else including software up- and downgrades can be done without ever rebooting!
You don't need any "setup.exe" anymore or installer CD's ... you just tell your "Package Manager" what kind of software you want and it does the job automagically for you.
Google is a very good friend ;)

Hefnawy
September 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM
This is all really really helpful. Thanks...
However, i have the same problem with the "autorun program" not being there. The only difference is, it's happening with an ubuntu 9.04 CD!! It sometimes even does it with music CDs...so, what i'm trying to find a solution for is not the application, but the "autorun program" itself...

Ratscallion
September 27th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Going with the Ubuntu CD problem, what are you trying to install (full file name AND program name, please)?

Q2299
August 10th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I have installed UBUNTU 8.04 in my ACER.
Works OK, but CANNOT Upgrade or Update. Wireless works fine.
The installed program always asks to insert the CD, but it does not recognize the CD after that. It always says no autorun can e found!
Another point, the Laptop version is very limited.

viditgoyal3009
August 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM
u cant install programs from .exe file on ubuntu. u have to download it from the repositories. i suggest u download the ubuntu pocket guide and read it..

Peter09
August 10th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Q2299,
go to System->Application->sources and make sure the CDRom is unticked. Your system is trying to get updates from the CD. It should get it from the repositories on the internet.

Baxterton
August 17th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Wow finally I found a topic about file permissions that relate to my problem.

I need to set the permission on two driver discs that I have, to executable, however I've been getting the 'cannot find autorun.exe' message. I suppose there could be the equivelant to then in the repositories, though I have not taken a look because I am not sure what type of driver is on the disc.

though, I have a question if this problem is resolved, will I be able to run certain programs like World of Warcraft, Oblivion, Photo-shop, etc. using Wine?

dagdeniz
August 17th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Wine does not run all of the programs, but most of them. Orbit download manager, CM 03/04, and small games were run with success but I didn't manage to get e.g., Age of Empires 2 working. For applications other than games, try to find equivalents (Photoshop runs with Wine but why not try GIMP?)

Baxterton
August 17th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Ok, I found a way to run WoW through Wine, I just have to port forward.

I am still having the problem with installing the drivers, do you think there would be a doppelganger driver download for an Asus M4N68T-M and the chip sets in a repository for ubuntu?

dagdeniz
August 18th, 2010, 02:06 AM
upps!
pardon, completely misunderstood :lolflag:

anewguy
August 18th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Ok, I found a way to run WoW through Wine, I just have to port forward.

I am still having the problem with installing the drivers, do you think there would be a doppelganger driver download for an Asus M4N68T-M and the chip sets in a repository for ubuntu?

If you're talking about motherboard drivers, like what come on a CD with most motherboards, that is not applicable to Ubuntu/Linux either. Those drivers are for Windows. If you need drivers for a specific device (wireless, video, sound, etc.), you'll need to post a request for that device.

Since I have never run WoW, perhaps your question is about something I don't understand. If so, sorry. If not, just tell us what you think your problem is and we'll go from there.

Dave ;)