PDA

View Full Version : [kde] kde apps in gnome

onlythetim
November 16th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I have found that I prefer a lot of kde applications to their gnome equivalents. Kpdf is much more advanced than evince, konsole far outcompetes gnome-terminal, yakuake to tilda, amarok to rhythmbox, kontact to evince, in fact the only gtk application I really use on a regular basis is firefox (which in my opinion, given the new "awesome bar", is much better than konqueror).

Given my preference for kde applications, it seemed logical that I should switch to kde, but I am currently attached to my gnome desktop. I have tweaked hundreds of settings and shortcuts, find it much more stable than kde, and prefer the overall look and feel.

QUESTION:
Is it bad to run all kde apps in gnome? Am I making a significant sacrifice in terms of speed and power here? Or is it just wierd?

Thanks for any feedback.

Shwefty
November 16th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Good question! Bump! I think the only thing it does is give you KDE dependencies (which you end up getting a whole lot of updates that way and wasting system space). But, I want to see what somebody smarter than me says :)

I ran KDE4 on OpenSuse for about a month (until I tried modifying my partitions while mounted on them...bad idea :) ), Konquerer does kinda stink, haha.[great for a lightweight browser though) I found Firefox quickly in KDE.

aged hippy
November 16th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Try the instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205002 and see what you think.

The general consensus is that - as KDE 4 is still under development - it is not a stable as Gnome, at the moment.

It is stable on this installation, but i don't use it all the time.

onlythetim
November 16th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I just wanted to clarify that I have been using ubuntu for 4 years now, and I am well aware of how to install software, but I have recently been transitioning to lots of kde apps, and I'm just wondering about the consequences of this, and whether or not it would be worth it for me to switch to kde entirely.

aged hippy
November 16th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I've run the two (KDE and Gnome) side-by-side and never noticed much difference, to be honest, but some claim that this does tend to bog the CPU down...

If you prefer the apps in KDE, do you have enough space on the HD for a / and a /home, if so, why not install it and try it out. :)

snova
November 17th, 2008, 03:42 AM
There are no consequences. You will use more disk space than a pure Gnome install and a bit more memory for kdelibs, but it won't break anything.

I had a similar setup for a while, until I decided to go back to KDE again.

doorknob60
November 17th, 2008, 03:52 AM
It's fine, although your RAM usage might be a little higher. Don't forget qgtkstyle :-) https://launchpad.net/~soc-krg-nw/+archive

caleb12
November 17th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I've never noticed much of a difference, aside from the style difference between QT and GTK (thanks for that doorknob60). I've tried to be exclusive to a desktop throughout my linux experience, finally I've given up... Aside from some extra space on the hard drive, and some extra memory being eaten up by the associated libs I've never noticed much.

I like the purist ideology of the Gnome approach - one app for one purpose... But, amarok is the bomb and Korganizer is so much more effective than Evolution; not to mention that Dolphin is really impressive these days (slow and a tad buggy though). So, I am always stuck on the fence, I've switched back and forth between KDE and Gnome countless times... Recently, I've given up and I keep a full install of both on my system. I still have yet to see my machine use more than a gig of ram, even during heavy usage...

I do wish that there was a little more integration between the various desktops, there are certain plugins that I enjoy thoroughly... that are exclusive to Gnome. I like XFCE's implementation of a Gnome-Applet swallower, run any Gnome applet in XFCE. To bad there isn't something like that for all applets, widgets, and the like...

I can dream... it's open source afterall...

gjoellee
November 17th, 2008, 03:08 PM
QUESTION:
Is it bad to run all kde apps in gnome? Am I making a significant sacrifice in terms of speed and power here? Or is it just wierd?

No, it is better to run a KDE application in GNOME then running a GNOME application in KDE. Mostly this is because unstability and "old look theme" with GTK apps in KDE 4.

However running KDE applications works totally nice in GNOME, the only difference I have noticed is that it takes slightly longer time to load KDE applications in GNOME then in KDe itself...

Ascenti0n
November 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I'm glad I found this post and the helpful replies. I too was considering such a question.

I have Ubuntu 8.10, and minus some small issues to do with keystroke bug and recording capture issues, I'm loving my Ubuntu experience.

The KDE apps I have on my system are: Amarok, Basket Note padsss (awesome) and I'm trying out Kontact, which is way more polished than Evolution, which is clunky and slow.

@ caleb12:

I do wish that there was a little more integration between the various desktops

I know they are both Linux based, but that fact that you can, even at current levels of integration, is excellent. I think I am right in saying, because of the closed source nature of both OS-X and Windows, there isn't and may never be, an equivalent on those OS's.

caleb12
November 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I know they are both Linux based, but that fact that you can, even at current levels of integration, is excellent. I think I am right in saying, because of the closed source nature of both OS-X and Windows, there isn't and may never be, an equivalent on those OS's.

I'd have to absolutely agree, there will never be an equivalent in the closed source world that offers as many options. After all that is why we have so many different options and projects available, because it is Open Source. I wouldn't have it any other way, and at the same time... it can be a double edged sword attempting to integrate all these different projects into a unified user experience. And, so far, Ubuntu has done an amazing job at simplifying that task.

~~~

I use Kontact alot, almost exclusively... and so far I haven't been happier, the KDE4 version of it is the best as of yet. A little config work with GCALDaemon and it syncs flawlessly with Google. I've tried Evolution a couple times, and it's been a disappointment each time... clunky, slow, and crashes... alot.