PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ISO missing?

damian^
November 16th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hey im new to the "linux" scene and am having a slight problem.
I downloaded Ubunto 8.10 x64, this is the page:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

anyways once it finsihed downloading i did not see an ISO image just the winRAR compressed folder and many more exe's, apps, ect (also the main install.exe)

I can install it no problem with the install.exe but what i want is to burn it to a cd (CD-R music, is that a problem?) and then be able to use it with VMware.

But i do not know what file needs to be dragged to the burn softwre (im using imgburn) i tried just dragging the whole winRAR file onto the location but that did not work, i think i need an exact .iso file, which i cant find.

Any ideas

Regards

Damian

Pumalite
November 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Download from here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
(64 bit version)

damian^
November 16th, 2008, 10:48 PM
thats the one i downloaded, the 64bit version.

djm-uk
November 16th, 2008, 10:49 PM
It sounds as though you have 'something' on your machine that is allowing you to open the ISO file directly - Possibly an archive tool (I think winrar does this) or a CD burning package???

Also Ubuntu will open the ISO file and show you the files within it...

You should find the ISO if you go to the location where you downloaded the file to (or go up 1 level from where you see the 'winrar pacakage and all the files')

David

lisati
November 16th, 2008, 10:51 PM
thats the one i downloaded, the 64bit version.

Hmmm....thinks for a moment......

When you downloaded the file, did you use the "Save to disk" option?
How did you do the download - by clicking on a link or by right-clicking and using "save .... as"?

damian^
November 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hmmm....thinks for a moment......

When you downloaded the file, did you use the "Save to disk" option?
How did you do the download - by clicking on a link or by right-clicking and using "save .... as"?
I am using Mozilla 3 and i clicked on the link and then used the "save as" feature and saved the winRar compressed files in My Documents.

damian^
November 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM
It sounds as though you have 'something' on your machine that is allowing you to open the ISO file directly - Possibly an archive tool (I think winrar does this) or a CD burning package???

Also Ubuntu will open the ISO file and show you the files within it...

You should find the ISO if you go to the location where you downloaded the file to (or go up 1 level from where you see the 'winrar pacakage and all the files')

David
yeah i think winRar does make this happen, should uninstall winrar?

djm-uk
November 16th, 2008, 10:56 PM
NO - just go UP one level from where you see the iso contents , you may find the file Icon is a winrar one (Are you using Win or LX to donwload & burn the file?). other thoughts - Show file extensions if you have them turned off, do a search for .iso files....

David

damian^
November 16th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Ok thanks for all the help guys I will report back in a while :)