PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there a way to keep the live CD spinning constantly

todlangweilig
November 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I would like to know if there is a way to keep the cd spinning so it doesn't keep spinning up and down? The system becomes laggy while its waiting for the cd to come up to speed. I don't care about the noise, I just want to be more responsive.

ugm6hr
November 16th, 2008, 09:31 PM
The Ubuntu LiveCD is not really designed for regular use. Other distros are (e.g. Puppy Linux, DSL).

If you want a LiveCD experience with better performance, try creating a LiveUSB.

jimmy the saint
November 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM
+1 for the usb. Now Ubuntu even makes it easy to install to a USB stick. Check out this easy tutorial. http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/11/01/ubuntu-810-install-using-the-built-in-usb-installer/

todlangweilig
November 16th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I've tried creating a liveUSB, it's so much easier to do now than it was:) However, I had problems with my laptop powering off and restarting when using the liveUSB. I also had problems with running out of space on it, I only have a 1GB stick. I'm trying to backup and partition my hard drive, I prefer stability over speed, even if a lack of speed irks me.
Thanks for the quick replies.

ugm6hr
November 16th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I also had problems with running out of space on it, I only have a 1GB stick.

A LiveCD will run out of space a lot faster ;)

jimmy the saint
November 16th, 2008, 09:44 PM
There are certainly drawbacks to USB installs, including the limited lifespan of the drives themselves. I would definitely not try it with <4Gig stick.

todlangweilig
November 16th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Yes, the liveCD will indeed run out of space faster, but the data doesn't get saved. I was using the liveUSB, then I rebooted, and it told me that I had run out of space. I'm not sure how I used all the space anyhow, I didn't think I had installed that much on it. I should have given it all the space on the drive though, I still can't figure out how I used 180MB so quickly. So in the end I was left with a stick that wouldn't boot properly.

I would agree, but have to use what one has. I haven't had the money to justify buying a 4GB stick, wish I did :(

ugm6hr
November 16th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Yes, the liveCD will indeed run out of space faster, but the data doesn't get saved.

You can create a "non-persistent" LiveUSB too. Google should find out how for you.