PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System hangs with TOTEM

gurpal123
November 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
My system hangs frequently with Totem media player running, especially when I am connected to net. Many of times I had to switch off the system. I stopped using Totem as for now, what I would like to know, is there any tool like task manager in windows, to end the non-responding programs, I am aware of System Monitor and Force Quit features, but nothing seems to work when the system hangs completely, moreover there are no keyboard shortcuts for either of these....:(

MasterSander
November 16th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Try ctrl+alt+f1, this should bring up a terminal unless your system is totally hung. You can then enter top to view processes and use killall to kill a certain process or kill and then the proces ID.

The reason why totem hangs is possibly because of the video output, try to see if you change it, I know you can in VLC, my system used to hang also because of VLC and I changed video output to openGL

markharding557
November 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Click on the add to panel in taskbar and add force quit.
check if totem freezes on video and then test it on audio only to see if it does the same this will start you in the direction of trouble shooting the problem

gurpal123
November 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hey thanks Sander, your ctrl+alt+f1 technique did help, but then how do u return to desktop, in GUI mode... I had to restart the system.

Malta paul
November 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
ctrl+alt+F7 should work