PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Saving an office document as multiple formats

DoubleMcLovin
November 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM
This is just an idea that popped into my head:

Can I configure Open Office or some part of my ubuntu install so that when I save the file "xxx.ods" it also saves it as "xxx.xls" (in proper MS office format)?

I know I can hit save as, but I work on several ods files at once and it would save me a few minutes a day to be able to just hit CTRL+S and have it save both formats so that I can run my backup script and send it over the network quickly.

73ckn797
November 17th, 2008, 04:26 AM
This is just an idea that popped into my head:

Can I configure Open Office or some part of my ubuntu install so that when I save the file "xxx.ods" it also saves it as "xxx.xls" (in proper MS office format)?

I know I can hit save as, but I work on several ods files at once and it would save me a few minutes a day to be able to just hit CTRL+S and have it save both formats so that I can run my backup script and send it over the network quickly.

Have you looked and asked in the OpenOffice forums?

Therion
November 17th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Maybe with a Macro.

NewJack
November 17th, 2008, 07:20 AM
If you are using OOo 3, this- http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/writertools was the only thing I was able to find. It only backs up Writer documents in Word, RTF and TXT format in a specified folder.

Hope that helped a little.