PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr! ... stupid Hotmail and its forced upgrades.

some_random_noob
November 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM
My computer is old, and I really hate Firefox because it lags so badly on my computer (especially with flash). I'm now using Epiphany but it can't run Hotmail. I can do anything in it except put text into the message body. The new Hotmail usually works with Firefox, but not Epiphany. Microsoft has forced an "upgrade" on all its Hotmail users and now it won't work with my new favourite browser.

Having Hotmail not work is kind of annoying, but what's worse is Microsoft's "let's do forced upgrades" attitude. They think that they know best. I might start using my ISP provided email address from now on. I would move to Gmail, but they're a creepy big brother type of company so I'd rather not submit to their will :) Google is the world's biggest intelligence agency *shudder*.

That's my rant.

Open for comments...

Sealbhach
November 16th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Have you tried Opera?

Also, I'm using the Firefox 3.1 Alpha (Minefield) which might be worth a try:

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/09/28/firefox-minefield-faster-than-chrome/

ade234uk
November 16th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I really hate Hotmail. I causes not end of problems with users creating accounts on our company website, either the email not arriving or ending up in Spam.

Why dont you get yourself a googlemail account. I am sure you can set it up so your Hotmail can be recieved through it, and you can also send from it using your hotmail address.

I do this for 3-4 of my own email accounts and it works perfectly. Also all my emails are now in one place.

some_random_noob
November 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Don't worry about it folks. I'm going to keep it simple (Epiphany + ISP provided email address + Xubuntu).

But yeah... Hotmail is a nasty piece of work. It needs to be more straight forward. They should at least give people the option of downgrading.

sdowney717
November 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM
believe me, this is easy to fix

type about:config in browser

type in general is search filter

CHANGE Ubuntu to Firefox under general.useragent.vender

now you will be able to enter text

MS does not like linux!! Ubuntu is linux so if it sees ubuntu it deliberately destructs, IMO.

Kingsley
November 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Get a new computer.

Giant Speck
November 16th, 2008, 10:01 PM
It's not just Microsoft that does the "forced upgrade" thing.

I haven't seen Firefox ask me permission to upgrade to a new version since it force-upgraded me to 2.0.0.14 many months ago.

Google updates Gmail all the time. You just don't notice it because they don't change the look of their page. The only indication you get that they updated it was the New Features! link at the top of the page.

Does this excuse Microsoft for making Hotmail really crappy recently? No. They should have done what Yahoo did and allow users to use a simple HTML "Classic" version while also giving them an option to use a more graphically-intensive "New" version.

billgoldberg
November 16th, 2008, 11:15 PM
My computer is old, and I really hate Firefox because it lags so badly on my computer (especially with flash). I'm now using Epiphany but it can't run Hotmail. I can do anything in it except put text into the message body. The new Hotmail usually works with Firefox, but not Epiphany. Microsoft has forced an "upgrade" on all its Hotmail users and now it won't work with my new favourite browser.

Having Hotmail not work is kind of annoying, but what's worse is Microsoft's "let's do forced upgrades" attitude. They think that they know best. I might start using my ISP provided email address from now on. I would move to Gmail, but they're a creepy big brother type of company so I'd rather not submit to their will :) Google is the world's biggest intelligence agency *shudder*.

That's my rant.

Open for comments...

There are other web based mail solutions besides hotmail (windows live) or gmail.

I'm thinking;

- yahoo
- gmx mail
- inbox
- gawab