PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] Grub is broken after windows update

Dr Zin
November 16th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Ok,I use a dual boot HDD1 is my Kubuntu O.S. the other is windows XP SP3. The hardware configuration is the windows drive is secondary and my Kubuntu is the primary drive. about two three weeks ago I upgrade my windows drive from SP 2 to SP 3 well then that windows drive MBR broke. Basically I would boot to my to my grub and select my windows pro drive and the screen would go blank then it kick to the bios and start up again. AT this piont I put in my Windows disc in and ran the repair disc and ran the command fix boot it worked. I was able to boot just fine in to windows fine. I do not know if its win update that keeps braking my CHT or something easels. I have another issue with with my Linux drive it freezes. I know from my past play with Linux I was have this issue come to find out that CPU was frying do to over heating but now my CPU is running at a good temp. I so was trying install a system monitoring app to see if was my system was having a hard time. then my windows broke again I am not sure if was an update or some easel is going on. SO I went back in the recovery disc for windows,and ran the fixboot, that did not work. then I ran fixMBR then it killed the MBR on my Linux drive. I ran then a live disc and grub was still there. So there is the back information on my issue. I need to have the dual boot system so I can stay sharp on my widows skills for jobs, and for a test environment for imaging disc and Virtual test bed. I want to as a hobby is to be a developers eyes and ears. I want to study on how to run a web server.

1. So how do I repair my MBR w/grub via a live disc?

2. How do I get MS windows to stop screwing things up?

3. Hints on have windows running Virtually in my Linux.

I will be posting grub file soon if needed and any easel that will help.

Keith Hedger
November 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I dont know about a live disk but u should have a copy of SuperGrub handy to sort out boot problems and other stuff I use the supergrub/gparted version (see my sig)

Dr Zin
November 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM
i will check it out but i just might just go back to windows sp2

Dr Zin
November 24th, 2008, 11:52 PM
thanks for the tip. It worked wonderfully. :popcorn::KS:)