PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New 8.10 Install/Wireless Radio Disabled

logistician
November 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hello.

This morning, I decided to install Ubuntu on an old Gateway Laptop I had lying around. This is my first experience with Ubuntu, so I was wondering if somebody could help me with an issue I'm having regarding my wireless setup? The ubuntu built-in help is maddeningly frustrating!

Under the System->Preferences->Network Configuration box, my "Wireless" tab is showing empty, so I went to the ubuntu built-in help and it wanted me to check that the wireless device is on. Now, with the original gateway/xp configuration, Fn+F2 would turn on/off the wireless radio (it was on prior to me installing ubuntu). However, it looks like it got turned off, and pressing Fn+F2 now doesn't seem to enable/disable anything.

Running the sudo lshw -C network option shows that it is there, but showing DISABLED. The help of course, loops back to say that some wireless radios must be enabled via windows.

Needless to say, I am kind of in an endless loop here. Since I installed Ubuntu, I can't go back to Windows to enable the radio.

I tried searching the forums here, but unfortunately, it seems that searching for phrases doesn't seem to work (even when using quotes).

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered somewhere else. Thanks!

jnorthr
November 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM
could you please open a terminal session: Applications>Accessoris>Terminal and type in this command:
ifconfig
this will give us a picture of your network. Then try the command
iwconfig
as this gives more specific details of your wireless configurations. If you can post any of that output, we may be able to advise further.
:)

logistician
November 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM
could you please open a terminal session: Applications>Accessoris>Terminal and type in this command:
ifconfig
this will give us a picture of your network. Then try the command
iwconfig
as this gives more specific details of your wireless configurations. If you can post any of that output, we may be able to advise further.
:)

ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:03:25:21:80:88
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:19

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:262 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:262 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:17088 (17.0 KB) TX bytes:17088 (17.0 KB)

iwconfig:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extensions.

logistician
November 16th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Aha...I poked around the forums more and found my fix at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=759100