PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hello I am new to the fourm

jaoak1978
November 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
hi I am like many other people here I cannot get my wireless card to work it is a broadcom 4318 it is the only connettion I have so I have to get the files from windows and save them then try in my linux I have 8.04 on disk if I use wubi it is 8.10 but when I get to a certain point it says put the cd in well the 804 won't do it with 8.10 I have installed what do i need to do I guess I am stuck in windows FOREVER help please thanks

johnn1949
November 16th, 2008, 06:06 PM
go to system-->administration-->software sources

uncheck the 2 cdrom boxes at the bottom.

Now it will pull all downloads from the repositories instead of looking for the cd.

MunkyJunky
November 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM
You'll need some propriety broadcom wireless drivers I think. Try using Google to find them - I'm no good with Wireless myself, since I don't use it.

sirjoebob
November 16th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I would recommend trying a different CD if it reports different versions and such. May be that you have the beta CD instead of the full install or something.

Also, to get it working, I would see if there is any way you can hook it up with ethernet (provided you have a port) and use the restricted driver manager. I find they are much better than porting the Windows drivers.