PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Printing with Ubuntu?

Obero
November 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
So, my ink cartridges emptied out before I installed Ubuntu, and now I have to replace them. I'm not sure how exactly to replace the cartridges with Ubuntu. I hear you have to download some kind of driver (which I'm not sure exactly is) to make it work.

I have an EpsonStylus CX4600 printer. Can anyone explain how to refill the ink with it?

taurus
November 16th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Don't you just remove the empty one and put in the new one? Well, at least that is what I do with my HP Inkjet printer when it runs out of ink.

jolx
November 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
have you looked in the manual?

i just went here (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Doc&oid=41663&prodoid=46048266) and looked at the quick reference guide and on page 31 it explains how to replace ink cartridges

Obero
November 16th, 2008, 05:54 PM
So, we just managed to be able to replace the cartridges by pressing a button on the printer, but how do we check the ink cartridges? Like, to see if they're empty, etc.?

oldsoundguy
November 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM
leave printer plugged in and powered up.
open door to print cartridge carrier.
remove old cartridges.
put in new cartridges.
close door.
when message comes up to align cartridges (or test or test print or whatever) say yes.
when test is done it is ready to print.

On a laser, you have to power down to replace the toner or the reclaim bottle on most units.

The only software you need is the print driver that is in system> administration> printing (the ones you use to set up the printer so it will print.) HP furnishes a monitoring program for some of it's printers .. in Synaptic as HPLIP toolbox that you CAN install, but in most cases not needed if you use the Mark II eyeball and check your print content and paper tray when printing. (nothing available for Epson or others for on screen checking of ink levels, etc just yet.)

(of course, this is provided you have a real printer and not a Lexmark.)

Paqman
November 16th, 2008, 06:07 PM
The machine will tell you when they're empty, surely?

I use a DX3800, not such a different machine from yours. On mine if you open the top cover and press the button the head will zip back and forth and stop with the colour that needs replacing by a little pointer.