PDA

View Full Version : linux-ntfs vs ntfs-3g

ShirishAg75
November 16th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Hi all,
I would like to know people's viewpoints (specifically filesystem folks) about the performance and reliability of linux-ntfs vs ntfs-3g.

I read an interesting thread (a mini flame-war) about the two of them at linux-ntfs forum (http://forum.linux-ntfs.org/viewtopic.php?t=741)

From the thread the following differences I could make out

a. Linux-ntfs (some part of it) has been integrated in the kernel.
b. NTFS-3g started life as a fork of linux-ntfs
c. NTFS-3g has been more widely known (I know about this) and perhaps tested as well (Dunno really)

So my questions are :-

a. Does it make sense to install both ntfsprogs as well as ntfs-3g or just use one or the other?

b. Which of the two is more reliable, better maintained and has more features ?

c. Which of the two projects people perceive as making grounds in the near and medium future?

happysmileman
November 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM
ntfs-3g has generally been more feature-packed than linux-ntfs AFAIK, ntfs-3g offered full write support long before linux-ntfs for example, I'd say it's more widely tested and used because of the amount of people who switched to it early on because of this

Phreaker
November 16th, 2008, 06:02 PM
AFAIK ntfs-3g is more widely used.

jdong
November 16th, 2008, 07:01 PM
ntfs-3g is the preferred driver -- it's derived off the linux-ntfs codebase and has a larger userbase. It's also the only driver that supports write access to NTFS safely -- linux-ntfs has much more restrictions on how files may be written to.

However, you still need ntfsprogs even if you use ntfs-3g, as the filesystem information query tools, resize, creation, etc tools are a part of ntfsprogs, not ntfs-3g. Also, linux-ntfs natively mounts via the kernel while ntfs-3g requires FUSE. This also MIGHT mean linux-ntfs for reading NTFS has faster performance.

sdowney717
November 16th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I have trouble with large files writing to NTFS. It is very slow.