PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] C++ - Reading string in a while loop

Despot Despondency
November 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Hi, I'm just trying to write a simple program to calculate the length of the smallest string in the input. However, when I try to read the strings in a while loop the loop never ends. Here's my code

#include <algorithm>
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <vector>

using std::cin;
using std::cout;
using std::endl;
using std::string;
using std::vector;

int main()
{

cout << "Please enter your text: ";

typedef string::size_type string_size;

vector<string_size> word_lengths;
string x;

while(cin >> x)
word_lengths.push_back(x.size());

sort(word_lengths.begin(),word_lengths.end());

cout << "The smallest word in the text was of length " << word_lengths[0] << endl;

return 0;

}

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Idefix82
November 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM
You didn't build in any means of telling the program that the input has finished. You could for example check the value of the string and exit if the value is "x" or "q" or whatever you wish or count the number of words and exit after the 10th.

dwhitney67
November 16th, 2008, 05:28 PM
You didn't build in any means of telling the program that the input has finished. You could for example check the value of the string and exit if the value is "x" or "q" or whatever you wish or count the number of words and exit after the 10th.
+1

[edited]

Despot Despondency
November 16th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your responses. I was taking my code from a similar example in my book, 'accelerated c++', only they where reading in doubles. There was a bit in the code that was doing whet you were suggesting only it didn't actually say that. Cheers for your help.