PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Weird 8.10 behaivor

ARhere
November 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I upgraded my 8.04.1 installation to the beta release of Ubuntu 8.10 around September. By keeping up with upgrades I just assumed it would be up to the stable release now, but it has been anything but stable.

Applications in WINE do not seem to react to the settings, the NVIDIA driver seems flakey with 8.10, dpkg returns with odd errors and then suddenly fixes itself, and so on.

Should I do a clean install of 8.10, or is it others opinion the flakiness is due to 8.10 itself and I should go back to 8.04?? The purpose of this computer is for games.

-AR

asgard_command
November 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
All I can say is that personally I have been running 8.10 since release candidate and have found it the most stable and bug free release to date.
If it was me I would backup and go for a clean install.

perlluver
November 16th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I would recommend a fresh install. I always find it to fix most of the problems I have, if I have updated to the newer system. Just backup and fresh install. If the problems still exist, I say stick with 8.04 since it is a LTS release.

lifestream
November 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I recommend burning a fresh 8.10 CD. You might be surprised what a difference it can make (from experience)

I also had nvidia glitches... but somehow a fresh install fixed it?
I had a ALSA shutdown problem, and a problem where if I got disconnected from Wireless, my sound volume would go waaaay up by itself (LOL!)

Fresh install made me happier :)

BTW only two games I play are Guild Wars and Second Life, and both still work great in Intrepid

ARhere
November 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Well, I installed 8.10 from scratch and all the odd issues have gone away.

Not something to pick at Ubuntu for, as this has been the case with any operating system I have tried to upgrade.

*shrug* -AR