PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching from XP too Ubuntu.... HELP Pls!!!

skarecrowster
November 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I've finally had enough of windows crashing and not responding and stuff... OK so i've managed to get my main PC to boot from the Ubuntu 8.10 CD which i've just burnt, and it's given me a menu, i want to completely get rid of windows and just have Ubuntu on there... I setup dual-boot before on the laptop, and don't want to accidentaly setup a dual boot here, on the menu it says

1. Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer
2. Install Ubuntu
3. Check CD for Defects
4. Test Memory
5. Boot from first hard disk

I'm guessing it's number 2 i have to choose, but will it automatically try to setup a dual-boot, or will i be given the option to just have Ubuntu???

If so, could anyone pls guide me through installation ...
Sorry to sound like a complete noob, just dont want to mess it up ... Thx

florus
November 16th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Just choose #2 and follow the process through. You can make all your choices and abort the process without having changed anything if you are still uncertain. The installation process does warn you when you are about to commit yourself.

Elfy
November 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM
The difference between 1 and 2 is that if you try it first you can make sure that all hardware works before you commit - there is an option on the desktop to start the install.

If you don't wan't to dualboot then when the install reaches the partition point - choose the whole disc - bit I would make sure that everytrhing works first :)

Partyboi2
November 16th, 2008, 11:03 AM
When you get to the partition stage of the install choose the option to use the entire disk, this will wipe windows so make sure you have backed up what you want to keep from windows.

skarecrowster
November 16th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I've come to step 7 of 7, and gone into advanced options, do i tick or untick the option to install boot loader???

Elfy
November 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Leave it well alone :)

If you don't install the bootloader you won't be able to boot

skarecrowster
November 16th, 2008, 11:17 AM
A little earlier in the process it showed a before and after display.. In the 'after' bar, it had Ubuntu 8.10 = 100% of the partition... So i hit accept, hopefully this was correct, its formatting now and installing... :)