PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu Inside Windows Or Partition the disk?

dowell22
November 16th, 2008, 05:49 AM
which is better? installing ubuntu inside windows? or creating a disk partition for ubuntu?

ItecKid
November 16th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Installing it inside windows causes it to run a little bit slower and causes some functions to be accessible (like hibernation on a mobile PC). I would definitely advise installation on a separate partition.

SuperSonic4
November 16th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Partitioning it. It allows it to use all the resources of your PC and to be faster

Keen101
November 16th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Partitioning is definitely better than WUBI, but if you are new, then feel free to try WUBI out first.

dowell22
November 16th, 2008, 05:52 AM
does anyone know step by step instructions to installing ubuntu with a partition? (last time i completely wiped my system clean)

stoogiebuncho
November 16th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I concur that installing to a partition is better.

Here is a guide I have used. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Ubuntu-8-04-LTS-84314.shtml The main thing to do to avoid wiping your windows install is to make sure you know where your partitions are and how big they are. On the last screen before the actual installation, it shows you what choices you have made and where it will install Ubuntu. Double check there before clicking 'Install' to make sure everything is correct.

And of course, back-up your data first. There's always a chance of something going wrong.