PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 killed my SIS graphics chipset

StuartCarter
November 16th, 2008, 04:22 AM
SIS 760 chipset - 8.10 turned a nice high resolution display into purple static that is unusable.

At present I am using Windows instead of Ubuntu. This does *not* make me happy.

:mad:

StuartCarter
November 17th, 2008, 04:29 PM
so, this morning I log into Ubuntu in the continuing vain hope that the SIS graphics problems will be patched. Oh, goody, I think, a load of patches are coming down.

Patches for Gnome games.

Patches for *games*.

larbac2006
November 17th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I have the same problem. With 8.04 it was OK, but now, the only thing was changing the driver of XORG to Vesa.
But I don't like this kind of problems...

StuartCarter
November 17th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I have the same problem. With 8.04 it was OK, but now, the only thing was changing the driver of XORG to Vesa.
But I don't like this kind of problems...

I won't even try this, because the Ubuntu project *should* have tested this before release of Ibex.

But I do appreciate your comment, thank you :)

StuartCarter
November 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM
still no fix for the SIS graphics chipset issue.

Still not happy.

dcardinale
November 21st, 2008, 03:23 AM
I share your pain. I have exactly the same problem. Shame there is no one to contact directly to help us. My little laptop has a beautiful screen and I am sorely tempted to switch to Mandriva as they have no problems with the sis video! 8.04 was just fine too!!
Dan

StuartCarter
November 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM
it's absurd that we are nearly a month after release, and something that was working fine in the previous version is still broken in the new version.

Sigh.

I will continue using Windows XP instead of Ubuntu Intrepid.

hesjnet
November 24th, 2008, 12:05 AM
It still sucks that it doesn't work. I tried to install it on a friends pc. He's been quite skeptical about linux, but I finally got him to try it out and then this happens. Yes it is free, and I will not sue somebody, but Isn't it quite ODD that this error even exists? If it worked perfectly in 8.04, why is it so hard to get it to work with 8.10?

StuartCarter
November 24th, 2008, 12:31 AM
It still sucks that it doesn't work. I tried to install it on a friends pc. He's been quite skeptical about linux, but I finally got him to try it out and then this happens. Yes it is free, and I will not sue somebody, but Isn't it quite ODD that this error even exists? If it worked perfectly in 8.04, why is it so hard to get it to work with 8.10?

This is exactly why I am frustrated: I have been using Ubuntu on this same machine for nearly 3 years, and something in *Ubuntu* has changed, because the same graphics card has been working quite happily with Ubuntu up to 8.04, and is currently working perfectly under Windows.

hesjnet
November 24th, 2008, 01:01 AM
It's not that I dont LOVE Ubuntu. I do. I just want everybody to have an as pleasant experience with it as I initally did. This problem probably made my friend quite reserved to try any linux system again.

Philio
November 24th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Unfortunately if you want support from the commercial company behind Ubuntu (Canonical) you gotta pay! This is where it stops being free...

cariboo
November 24th, 2008, 02:49 AM
If you look here:

http://www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_16.htm

You will see that there is only suport for the SIS chipset in kernels less than 2.6.20. Intrepid uses 2.6.27, it is probably time all the SIS graphics adapter owners wrote SIS to write drivers that support newer kernels. It is not Ubuntu's fault that the chipset manufacturers has not updated the drivers.

Jim

dcardinale
November 24th, 2008, 05:13 AM
According to what I read on the SIS site. Linux provided the drivers not SIS. Am I reading this incorrectly? Also, and I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong here as well, SIS states that "Some versions of Linux have provided default driver for SiS products. Besides, we also provide the linux driver download for some version users:
The linux OS has default driver for SiS product"

if the issue lies in the kernal, Why does the mandriva 2009 distro support SIS without any problems?? I ran the Live distro and baam! it works right out of the box! now if Mandriva is using the same kernal as the rest of us. Something has changed in Ubuntu. Is my logic flawed? I am willing to be corrected. But as we have all joined the bandwagon to dump windows and get our friends to join us,our efforts become more complicated when such a thing as this happens. is this a regressive error in the kernal?
I guess more importantly , If losing a video driver is an issue, and judging by the replies it is, shouldn't this be addressed so that we all have a stronger more robust operating system? One that addresses the needs of the community? Isnt this the positive attitude we are striving for instead of the obnoxious attitude of the ones who say " go back to windows" ? If its not broke don't fix it, But on the other hand if it got broke then lets work together and FIX IT!!

dcardinale
November 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
If you look here:

http://www.sis.com/support/support_faqs_16.htm

You will see that there is only suport for the SIS chipset in kernels less than 2.6.20. Intrepid uses 2.6.27, it is probably time all the SIS graphics adapter owners wrote SIS to write drivers that support newer kernels. It is not Ubuntu's fault that the chipset manufacturers has not updated the drivers.

Jim
you have me a little confused here (I am a newb). who is responsible for the drivers? Linux groups or manufacturers? dont we usually ask the manufacturers to release some code and then rewrite it for Linux? I am a little hazy on this so anything you can do to illuminate me would be greatly appreciated!!

hesjnet
November 26th, 2008, 01:24 PM
So, what's the next step? Is this something to place as a suggestion on Brainstorm?

dcardinale
November 27th, 2008, 03:49 AM
tell me where and I will be there to post this request!! I am not sure why we should be forced to use another Linux version only because they support our video chipset!!

flibblesan
November 27th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Complaining about this on the forum won't get this issue resolved. You really need to log into Launchpad and file a bug report. Remember to paste the contents of your xorg.conf as this will be required.

hesjnet
November 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Complaining about this on the forum won't get this issue resolved. You really need to log into Launchpad and file a bug report. Remember to paste the contents of your xorg.conf as this will be required.

Since my friend now has re-installed Xp, can someone do this?

dcardinale
November 29th, 2008, 04:03 AM
Since my friend now has re-installed Xp, can someone do this?
I will do it.

StuartCarter
November 29th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I will do it.

Thank you!

Bibek
November 29th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Why does the mandriva 2009 distro support SIS without any problems??
I think mandriva comes with a lot of restricted drivers.
But I still dont have a clue as to why Ubuntu should be able to run your chipset upto 8.04 and not in ibex. I havent upgraded to ibex as I have decided to switch versions from LTS to LTS. Why dont you use hardy until some solution arrives ?

hesjnet
December 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Because it shouldn't be neccesary. :D

dcardinale: Did you post the bug?

StuartCarter
December 18th, 2008, 04:17 PM
I still do not have a working SIS760 graphics chipset.

hesjnet
December 27th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Still no progress on this?

StuartCarter
December 27th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Still no progress on this?

once a week I faithfully check for updates, and am still disappointed.

StuartCarter
March 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM
sadly.... I am still seeing pink fuzz all over my Ubuntu install. I would really like to use Ubuntu as my main OS, but I cannot when the graphics display is so badly mangled.

And I can't believe I am *still* having this problem four months later.

hesjnet
April 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Has anyone tried this with Jaunty Beta?

StuartCarter
July 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
this post is now completely moot: the laptop concerned was stolen.