PDA

View Full Version : [POLL]programming challanges

jimi_hendrix
November 16th, 2008, 03:46 AM
what type of the listed do you like best...feel free to suggest some also

namegame
November 16th, 2008, 05:01 AM
As someone said in another thread, Math-oriented challenges would probably be best.

There are already pre-defined solutions.

For Example, "Print all the Nth number in the Fibonacci sequence"

Only 1 correct answer exists.

This way, judging the solutions can proceed in an objective manner.

Games would have to be judged subjectively, since everyone likes different games...

samjh
November 16th, 2008, 07:04 AM
From the polling list, I chose Math.

I don't like challenges that require use of external packages, like ones involving graphs, because it shifts focus toward learning a library instead of solving the problem.

As Namegame said, maths-based challenges have answers that can be objectively evaluated, which is not the case if the challenge is to create a game or something equally ambiguous.

jimi_hendrix
November 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
As Namegame said, maths-based challenges have answers that can be objectively evaluated, which is not the case if the challenge is to create a game or something equally ambiguous.

could always be a challange on making the most efficient game...

1 idea i like is recoding some functions from common librarys...

scragar
November 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Since the goal of the chalange is not, normaly, to be efficient, but to write pretty code I don't see why it matters what the actual goal of the project is, as long as a good solution can be reached that doesn't cripple computers when it's tested.

Having said that I think working towards a new project/program is just a really good idea for the community.

JupiterV2
November 16th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I voted 'Other' for two reasons:

1. There are PLENTY of math oriented programming challenge sites already. Project Euler and Challenge-You (from one of our very own) for example.

2. Unique challenges with a varying amount of difficulty open up the tasks to everyone.

I enjoyed the task of creating an implementation of creating a stack which was type-safe and did not rely on STL (C++) or other inherent types in a language. C, for example, does not have vectors, stacks or any such thing as part of its standard library. It was entertaining to complete the task in that language.

A simple "game" like the 'Ant Challenge' was very entertaining, so was the '99 bottles of beer' task. The variety of answers in a slew of different languages was proof enough.

It would be nice to see a 'handicap' system for the challenges though. Someone who is using a language that doesn't lend well to solving a task should gain a 'bonus' and those that are far more experienced should get a 'penalty.' So...Slavik or CptPickard may have a +2 handicap but someone like me might have a +10, +14 if I use a language outside of my comfort zone or a language not ideal for the task.

Just some food for thought.

cb951303
November 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
we might also have reverse engineering challenges like crackmes.de (http://www.crackmes.de) or something similar :guitar:

Also the programming challenges at hackthissite.org (http://www.hackthissite.org/) are quite good.

drubin
November 17th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I vote for all of them :)

More challanges for every one.

Luggy
November 17th, 2008, 09:21 PM
It would be nice to see a 'handicap' system for the challenges though. Someone who is using a language that doesn't lend well to solving a task should gain a 'bonus' and those that are far more experienced should get a 'penalty.' So...Slavik or CptPickard may have a +2 handicap but someone like me might have a +10, +14 if I use a language outside of my comfort zone or a language not ideal for the task.

I don't think programming challenges need any kind of scoring system. I enjoy programming challenges as a way to test myself, not to try and compete against others. I don't care how efficient or how few lines of code I completed the challenge in. I just care that the code is clean, simple and works.

What I would like to see for programming challanges is a little more organization on this forum. It would be nice to get a sub-forum or a sticky with a list of all programming challenges.

Luke has no name
November 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Perhaps some programming challenges could be used to give Ubuntu users a chance to solve some smaller, not-as-in-depth problems in the OS. Go look at brainstorm or the bug list and find something small they could fix?

I know packaging is a bit of trouble. But it's an idea.

drubin
November 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
What I would like to see for programming challanges is a little more organization on this forum. It would be nice to get a sub-forum or a sticky with a list of all programming challenges.

I second that! Would be rather nice if we could get a forum where the challanges get moved to but stays clean with only the challanges listed and we can post the solutions to them.

What do the rest of you guys think? We should maybe bring this up in the FFH

Kilon
November 17th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I think we need to promote cooperation instead of competition. Maybe create Projects where even beginners can participate in the creation or expansion of a programm. That would be something much more enjoyed.

drubin
November 17th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Perhaps some programming challenges could be used to give Ubuntu users a chance to solve some smaller, not-as-in-depth problems in the OS. Go look at brainstorm or the bug list and find something small they could fix?

I know packaging is a bit of trouble. But it's an idea.

While I do think this is a great Idea I don't see it as a substitute to these! Most people like to try and battle out these simple tasks before going through other peoples code trying to find bugs. It is a differnt sort of technique.

drubin
November 17th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I think we need to promote cooperation instead of competition. Maybe create Projects where even beginners can participate in the creation or expansion of a programm. That would be something much more enjoyed.

We already have that. :)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=894509

Kilon
November 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
We already have that. :)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=894509

Well it is a start but far from what I had in mind. We need more languages for start . Not everybody codes in Python.

scragar
November 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Not everybody codes in Python.

+1 to that.

drubin
November 17th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Well it is a start but far from what I had in mind. We need more languages for start . Not everybody codes in Python.

I do agree. Just saying that it was a start. I would love to take it on. but currently I do not have the time..... :)busy busy bee :)

If you do have the time/Knowledge then go for it!! Every one will support you.

pp.
November 17th, 2008, 10:16 PM
busy busy bee.

Had you said "busy busy beaver" you'd have made a pun.

drubin
November 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Had you said "busy busy beaver" you'd have made a pun.

How so?

pp.
November 17th, 2008, 10:22 PM
"Busy Beaver": An elderly programming challenge for an abstract computing device. The computing device was described by Alan Turing. I don't remember the goal of the challenge, but I seem to recall that you had to write a program with the fewest number of instructions which produced the longest finite output string.

Edit: "busy beaver" is in the Wikipedia.

drubin
November 17th, 2008, 10:27 PM
"Busy Beaver": An elderly programming challenge for an abstract computing device. The computing device was described by Alan Turing. I don't remember the goal of the challenge, but I seem to recall that you had to write a program with the fewest number of instructions which produced the longest finite output string.

Edit: "busy beaver" is in the Wikipedia.

EDIT: "Harry Potter" is in the Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter).

cat /etc/world/interwebs
<back_on_topic/>