PDA

View Full Version : Buying a computer.

eternalnewbee
November 16th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Hi everybody.
Most people buy their computers with everything pre-installed, hardware & software. I was thinking (yes!!! It hurt a little bit):
Would it be an idea to have a category in the forums, where people can come and seek advice, as to which hardware components are most suitable for their needs.
A lot of people for example need fast graphic cards for gaming, others wonder how much memory they need, choice of main board, etc. I'm sure a lot (if not most) computer users don't even know they can compile their own computer.
Possible name for category: Buying Hardware, Looking For A New Computer...
Any thoughts?

elmer_42
November 16th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I think it would be a little out of place on this specific forum. Maybe people should just tag their topic as a "buypc" topic and put it in the Community Cafe?

eternalnewbee
November 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I think it would be a little out of place on this specific forum. Maybe people should just tag their topic as a "buypc" topic and put it in the Community Cafe?
Hi elmer. Somewhere in the Main Categories would do, wouldn't you say?

zmjjmz
November 16th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Hi elmer. Somewhere in the Main Categories would do, wouldn't you say?

It would probably do better in Other Community Discussions.

elmer_42
November 16th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Somewhere in the Main Categories would do, wouldn't you say?
I guess there could be one, but the Ubuntu Forums don't really strike me as a great place to get advice on buying a computer.

eternalnewbee
November 16th, 2008, 02:25 AM
It would probably do better in Other Community Discussions.
So you agree that such a category would be useful, too?

zmjjmz
November 16th, 2008, 02:27 AM
So you agree that such a category would be useful, too?

Perhaps a small Sticky in the CC would be better.

eternalnewbee
November 16th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Perhaps a small Sticky in the CC would be better.
Now that sounds like an excellent idea.
Hope one of the staff members sees your reply, and thinks: "Hey! Why didn't I think of that one?!". ([-o<)

JC Cheloven
November 16th, 2008, 03:37 AM
My 2p:
Although this could be a nice idea, I find this (http://webapps.ubuntu.com/certification/) instructive enough when I have to give advice to someone (or for myself) when buying a computer.

eternalnewbee
November 16th, 2008, 03:52 AM
My 2p:
Although this could be a nice idea, I find this instructive enough when I have to give advice to someone (or for myself) when buying a computer.
There's no information...

tuxsheadache
November 16th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I think it would be a good idea, because a lot of forums will promote hardware suitable for Windows Vista. e.g.
"you HAVE to buy a 2.5Ghz+ dual core to run an OS"
"2 graphics cards are a MUST"
Although this can be true for powerful gaming/media PCs, Ubuntu could offer a more down to earth advice, on what a user REALLY needs in comparison to excessive power computing.
Any thoughts?

eternalnewbee
November 16th, 2008, 04:54 AM
Although this can be true for powerful gaming/media PCs, Ubuntu could offer a more down to earth advice, on what a user REALLY needs in comparison to excessive power computing.
My thought exactly.

Saint Angeles
November 16th, 2008, 05:08 AM
wait a minute!

the internet is on COMPUTERS now?!?!

inobe
November 16th, 2008, 05:55 AM
i would say buying a computer is a waste!

building is more economical :)

eternalnewbee
November 16th, 2008, 06:52 AM
wait a minute!
Now that's what I call a loooooong minute.:lolflag:

JC Cheloven
November 17th, 2008, 01:09 AM
There's no information...

This was ubuntu's page for validated software, which only has links to be followed. Picking one link leads to a list of compatible hardware, which depends on the kind of box (laptop, desktop, server), and on the version of ubuntu you're interested in. For example, the screenshot above is for hardy-laptop (the list is much bigger than the detail shown).

What I usually do is to give advice of buying one of these, or to give advice of custom-building the computer with the same components they have.

EDIT: Oh, I see in your picture that the links weren't loaded for you, for some weird reason. Surely this makes unnecessary further explanation :-)