PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downloading and installing new themes...

Baldrick_NZ
November 16th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Hi all, being a newbie and loving every moment of ubuntu, I'd like to know how to download and install a new desktop theme from the gnome website below..

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Human+Synergy?content=92132

I've extracted the file to my desktop, but don't know which folder to put it in from there so it'll show up under system > preferences > appearance?

I note somewhere that other themes can be downloaded via the terminal window too, which may (or may not) apply too..

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Baldrick

Brain-free
November 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM
No worries, it's really easy.

Go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance and in the window that appears in your desktop, drag n' drop the .tar.gz - or whatever - you downloaded.

mastergoomba
December 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
i keep doing that and i keep getting invalid theme

jerome1232
December 23rd, 2008, 11:34 PM
i keep doing that and i keep getting invalid theme

Works fine here, are you sure your drag'n droping the compressed file not your extracted folder?

Adamantus
December 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
What usually works for me is downloading them to a folder (I created and "Ubuntu Themes" folder in my user folder) and then just using "install" from the System>Preferences>Appearance box. That has always worked for me.

Also, make sure they're not a .zip file. I sometimes get a zip file while downloading from gnome-look, which won't install correctly.

mastergoomba
December 24th, 2008, 01:48 AM
they're .tar.gz files, and yes, i'm positive i'm dragging and dropping the right file. even going in through the install part it get something that says "explosion" does not appear to be a valid theme.

jerome1232
December 24th, 2008, 01:51 AM
they're .tar.gz files, and yes, i'm positive i'm dragging and dropping the right file. even going in through the install part it get something that says "explosion" does not appear to be a valid theme.

Is this the human synergy theme you linked to in your OP? That's the one I tested and it was packaged correctly.

If not my guess is that whoever made the theme didn't package it correctly, have a look in the folder maybe it comes with instructions.

BGFG
December 24th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Be sure to check what type of theme it is or rather, which window manager it works with. On gnome look the are sorted as 'Metacity' or 'compiz' and whatnot. The shiny glassy looking ones are usually compiz. (i haven't been able to get the compiz ones to work yet :))
So check which window manager you are using, then download the appropriate theme. here are some nice ones:

http://www.techiesouls.com/2008/11/27/collection-of-50-best-looking-linux-gnomeubuntu-themes-to-download/

efeurich
December 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Awesome ..thanks man :-)

mastergoomba
December 27th, 2008, 04:27 AM
Is this the human synergy theme you linked to in your OP? That's the one I tested and it was packaged correctly.

If not my guess is that whoever made the theme didn't package it correctly, have a look in the folder maybe it comes with instructions.

how do i do that? the OP thing i mean