PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install or LiveCD goes to WHITE SCREEN

araaran
November 15th, 2008, 11:27 PM
I must admit I feel a little disappointed.

This is not really a support request... I know its an ATI driver / fancy-graphics problem (although feel free to tell me if its not).

And I cant code and I dont have enough expertise to contribute, so I cant complain... Can I?

Its 2008. Linux is now mature, as is Ubuntu; yet here we have a release (8.10) that goes to white screen on an utterly 'normal' computer ](*,)

Something our esteemed enemies over at Redmond are not having a problem with is getting a basic install going; they have been successful at this for, lets face it, every flavour of PC since the 386sx.

My 'normal' computer is specified as follows:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6300.
MB: Asus P5N-E SLI running a 20% overclock on the CPU.
RAM: DDR2 4096 MB PC2-4300 Kingston.
GPU: ATI 2900XT 1GB
Screen: small D-Sub flatscreen at 1280x1024
BootHDD: SATA on MB
Raid5Array: Adaptec 2610SA, 3 drives totalling 931.4557GB.
Cooling: Watercooling on CPU, GPU and NorthBridge.

...and my sadness is this: My computer is over a year old, mostly over two years old. Its a very standard and "old-hat" computer -- all the drivers should be several versions down the line. OK I know its got RAID, but its an old and linux-supported card, and watercooling - well that doesnt need drivers :)

:idea: I wonder would it be so bad for Ubuntu to boot up into a less graphics intensive environment and then let us choose our own GPU and test it.

Just a thought [-o<

ps. Ubuntuites - Please dont lynch me for this post. I love linux :)

Pumalite
November 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Have you tried the amd64 Alternate CD?

mkvnmtr
November 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
There are many ways to get a disk to boot. If you wish you can ask for help and someone will probably be able to help. It is usually pretty simple.

Shadowmeph
November 16th, 2008, 12:04 AM
its strange on my comp it took 45+mins to install. it started then stuck at 82% for so long that I went out to the corner store and ordered pizza came back and it was just finishing