PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] SimpleTech Signature Mini drive for backup

bmaguire
November 15th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I would like to use a SimpleTech Signature Mini 500GB portable hard drive with Simple Backup to back up my system. (I recently lost my user account in my home directory and had to rebuild everything, so I'm a bit paranoid at this point). The drive is configured for Windows and Mac, of course. How do I prepare and mount it? I'm coming from the Windows world, so I think in terms of formatting the drive, but I get the impression that I'm thinking in the wrong terms for Linux, which I am trying to convert to.

Thanks for any help.
-Brian

unutbu
November 15th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I get the impression that I'm thinking in the wrong terms for Linux,
Not at all! We heathens like to format drives too. :)
To set up your drive, perhaps try the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingANewHardDrive

If you run into and problem or have any questions, post back here and we'll be glad to help.

fballem
November 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM
If you plug the drive into your USB port, what happens? I am wondering if you can see the contents of the drive and if you can create a folder and copy a file into that folder.

If you can do all of this, then you are good to go. If not, then you may need to format the drive (use gparted).

Hope this helps,