PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] wireless failure after upgrade to 8.10

dldeskins
November 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM
I put off upgrading until I had time to mess with the wireless. I was using MadWifi on my Toshiba Satellite U305-S7448, and every time that the kernel was updated, I had to rebuild MadWifi for that kernel.

I finally backed up my files and upgraded overnight, and have been trying to get the wireless going since then. I have tried the built in drivers, one at a time... rebooting on each activation. Then I tried deactivating them both, and building MadWifi and trying to get it work. Everything has failed.

Please help, if you have any ideas.

Thanks,

Don

alwayshere
November 15th, 2008, 10:46 PM
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#DownloadlatestLinuxwirelessdrivers

have a look at this site

dldeskins
November 16th, 2008, 01:55 AM
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#DownloadlatestLinuxwirelessdrivers

have a look at this site

I guess i asked for help too soon. I went to the site that you suggested and downloaded the file. I was right in the middle of the make, and i decided to try the built-in drivers again. I activated the first one (for the 5000 series) and it recognized my network. I put the passphrase in and it connected up.

thank you much, though. Looks like that I should have been a bit more persistent. :)

dldeskins
November 16th, 2008, 03:24 AM
OK, I thought I had it solved and it is so partially.

The right driver is the first one for 5000 series LAN cards. But if I restart/start, I have no network connection. I go into System > Administration > Hardware drivers and the first is activated "but not in use". I deactivate it and then activate it, then it connects up to the wireless network.

Any suggestions to get this connection on start up?

dldeskins
November 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
bump

dldeskins
November 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I found the answer. I was looking through /etc/modprobe.d/ and found a madwifi module. I figured this was interferring with the other driver (I was using madwifi with 8.04). I looked around and uninstalled all madwifi tools/modules. This solved the problem