PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virtualbox Won't Mount Floppy

HDTimeshifter
November 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I installed Sun's .deb Virtualbox, but it won't mount my floppy drive and also gives me the following USB error when I try to mount it:

Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might be not installed on the host computer.

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
Component:
Host
Interface:
IHost {489fb370-c227-4d43-9761-ceb28484fd9f}
Callee:
IMachine {1e509de4-d96c-4f44-8b94-860194f710ac}

I don't know why it is trying to use USB when my floppy is connected as a traditional floppy/IDE device.

This is a critical error as I am unable to install Windows XP on Virtualbox since my XP install CD is not bootable and requires floppies to boot.

inobe
November 15th, 2008, 10:00 PM
i don't know if this will help you, it bit of googling says you can create a boot cd for xp.

ypur probably want to fix the current problem, i assure you' the boot cd is faster.

example: fdisk' run the command
setup.exe

the ultimate boot cd has this ability, google will point you to many variations.

i hope i am offering some insight :)

cariboo
November 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM
You can create a bootable cd using K3b. Coy all the files from your XP cd to a directory on your hard drive, then go here:

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

I downloaded the win98se custom image. Use file-roller to extract the image file (right click and select Open with Archive Manager)

Next open K3b and select New Data project. Click Project-->Edit Boot Images, click the New button and select the win98se image file you extracted. Click OK.

Add your win xp files and burn the CD. You now have a bootable Win XP CD. I'll leave the installation up to you, as there are about three or four different ways to do it.

Jim