PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Questions About Upgrading

Chris_Foster
November 15th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I have a couple questions about upgrading, Im currently running kubuntu 8.04 LTS

1. On the upgrade page, it says that upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 is not requested by default because 8.10 is not a LTS release. Does that mean that when the next LTS release comes out, that I will be asked to upgrade, even if im running the last LTS? I don't want to not be able to upgrade to the next LTS release because im a couple releases behind.

2. I've configured my kde 3.5 really well, and I was wondering what happens to kde 3.5 when I upgrade (since kubuntu 8.10 is kde4). Does kde 3.5 get deleted and replaced with kde4? Or does it just add kde4 to kde 3.5?

3. I tried kde 4.0 a while ago, and I hated how little customization pieces there was on kdelook.org, and I hated how often its programs crashed. How much of this has changed since 4.0? I heard that 4.1 has fixed alot.

4. Will I loose any program configurations? I'm going to be backing up my home directory, obviously, but I just wanted to be sure. I would hate to loose all my amarok and Game records....

Thanks ahead of time :)

cariboo
November 15th, 2008, 11:58 PM
You can upgrade to a newer version anytime you want. If you are happy with the way Hardy runs, and if there is nothing in Intrepid that you need such as a wireless device driver. I'd suggest staying with what you've got. If you do want to upgrade I'd suggest waiting a coouple of months, as upgrading right now can cause a lot of things not to work properly. I personally do a clean install with every new version, as I have a separate home partiton, so I don't lose everything.

Jim

Chris_Foster
November 16th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Im not planning on upgrading to 8.10, unless I can't upgrade more than one version.

For instance:
Upgrading from 5.10 to 7.10 (except with 5.10 replaced with 8.04 and 7.10 replaced with some future version)

I would really perfer to upgrade, rather than re-install. That means I would have to re-install all my programs, server configurations, tunnels, etc., and it just doesnt seem worth it to me. I consider my self fairly skilled with computers, so I could probably solve any problems that appear.

And that leaves some questions open :)

Thanks, though.

B.T.W: if you dont mind me asking, what area is the williams lake you live at located at? I have a williams lake close to my city, so its just out of curiosity. :)