PDA

View Full Version : Power Strips into UPS

Phases
November 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM
How bad is it to power strip the battery backup ports of my ups, for thinks like modems, routers, printers, monitors?

I assume it's a stupid thing to do. But, there's no one I trust more than this community to hook a brother up with some solid, educated opinions.

I have an APC UPS with 4 battery outlets, and four surge.

I have 2 (maybe third soon) systems I obviously want on battery. It sure would be nice to have their monitors (well, at least one of each of their monitors :P) on battery, so if I lose power I can at least see to shut them down.

But I also have cable modem and a router to think about. If I lose power, I'd like to keep my site online during the hopefully short duration of time it's out. Although, I realize that's a less priority than shutting down safely.

I have other devices but aren't worried about those.

So. 2 systems on battery, and a a monitor from each, the rest on surge is one option. So i can shutdown.

But chances are it'll go out while I'm asleep or gone so shutting down isn't an option (like the last instance) and I just have to hope it comes back while the battery still has a charge. (like the last instance). SO with that in mind, it'd be more fun to not worry about the monitors and put the router/modem on so my site can stay online.

OR. Power strip into the UPS. How bad is this. Is it true power strips (even 'surge protector' strips?) don't distribute power evenly and reliably during hard times?

I think the only obvious thing is I need to come up with the $ to get a second one.

Thoughts.
Thanks guys :)

Phases
November 16th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Aww, no replies. :(

That's okay - I bought a second one. May as well do things right!

mips
November 16th, 2008, 12:22 AM
you will be fine. Just keep things like laser printers off the ups.