PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video File "Plays" but doesn't play

Elliander
November 15th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I just recently purchased a new Atheros Chipset Network card so I can make the switch to using Ubuntu instead of Windows, and have run all the updates, but am stuck on a few places.

In running videos files, it prompted me to install an update to run all video files (which I really liked) and then installed it all really fast, and while that made most of the video files work fine, there are a few that are acting weird.

I have a few .ogm movies in which, when I open the file, it opens the file, and says "playing" but the bar doesn't move at all. It's all still frame. If I manually drag the bar across I can see video scenes, so it's obviously able to see the video and interpret it, it just won't play what it is seeing.

Normally I would first try to see if it's a problem with the media player itself, maybe another would work for it. But I don't know enough about Ubuntu to figure out the whole ATP line to install things.:confused:

Elliander
November 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Checking other video files, it only seems to be affecting .ogm files. Some of the .ogm files will not move, some will move after I move it myself, some won't no matter what I do.

And now I found one that does play, but won't play the other language layers in audio.

But no other video format has these problems that I can see. Just .ogm files.

Elliander
November 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM
When I installed gxine it let me play the dual audio .ogm files and hear the sound, but I still cannot play the .ogm files that won't "play" they still just sit there like a long set of still images.

If anyone knows of anything I can install to get these to play I would really appreciate it.