PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Accidentally deleted /etc/init.d/gdm help

cashmoney
November 15th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Like I said in the title I installed the latest kernel 2.6.27 in Hardy and I was going to install the nvidia drivers from scratch. I went to delete /etc/init.d/nvi* and due to lack of sleep and not really paying attention I typed gdm and hit enter. I tried uninstalling gdm and re-installing gdm then I move the gdm file from my desktop to my laptop using scp and migrated it to /etc/init.d/ and it didn't help. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Nate

cdtech
November 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM
What do you get with this command:

sudo dpkg --audit

ad_267
November 15th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Try:

sudo dpkg -P --force-depends gdm
sudo aptitude install gdm

That will purge the gdm package without uninstalling packages that depend on it and then reinstall it.

cashmoney
November 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Try:

sudo dpkg -P --force-depends gdm
sudo aptitude install gdm

That will purge the gdm package without uninstalling packages that depend on it and then reinstall it.

That worked great thanks a lot. Is there any other reason to using Aptitude over apt-get other than it removes the dependencies for you?

cdtech
November 15th, 2008, 09:51 PM
using aptitude over apt-get are largely irrelevant if you're using Edgy Eft (6.10), Feisty Fawn (7.04), or any future version of Ubuntu.

the new version of apt-get from 6.10 has a function that allows you to remove unused dependencies when removing an application:

sudo apt-get autoremove appname

cashmoney
November 15th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Awesome thanks for the quick replies.