PDA

View Full Version : Geeky Computer Habits

tdrusk
November 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I was just writing an essay when I noticed a word was spelled wrong. I corrected it, then naturally moved my mouse to click the compile button non-existent compile button...

Ever done anything like this?

tom66
November 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I hate ergonomic keyboards and refuse to use them... is that a habit?

On some laptops I grab for the non-existent mouse as my current touchpad is broken and I use a USB mouse.

tdrusk
November 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I hate ergonomic keyboards and refuse to use them... is that a habit?

On some laptops I grab for the non-existent mouse as my current touchpad is broken and I use a USB mouse.

Same thing when I drive an automatic car.

FuturePilot
November 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I tend to try and tab-complete everything.

tom66
November 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I recently learned Windows XP does that, but in a different way. It won't tab complete if there are multiple possibilities; while Linux will tab up until the first unique letter, Windows XP won't. That is really annoying. 'specially if you've being using bash for nearly a year now.

andrek
November 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I often try to open applications menu by rightclicking on windows xp's desktop - habit from xfce.

fiddler616
November 15th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Whenever I see something I want for sale, my thoughts go:

"Hey, I want that"
"Oh, it costs money :("
"That's OK, I'm sure there's an open-source alternative (which is probably better)"
"DANG! That's not software, it's a chocolate bar!"

tdrusk
November 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM

"Hey, I want that"
"That's OK, I'm sure there's an open-source alternative (which is probably better)"

:):):)

hessiess
November 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM

"Hey, I want that"

:lolflag::lolflag:

juanmoreno92
November 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Keep opening a terminal and typing in ./configure even though I am not in a src folder. Even in Windows..... Hmmmmm Need to start using the package manager more :lolflag:

Joeb454
November 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I tend to try and tab-complete everything.

I ha it wh that hap

init1
November 15th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I have the habit of pressing "F1" whenever I want to do something, since that's the key I use to bring up the Tilda terminal.

OutOfReach
November 15th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I have a habit of pressing Alt+F2 on windows systems.
(Which brings up dmenu on my machine)

fiddler616
November 15th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I have a habit of pressing Alt+F2 on windows systems.
(Which brings up dmenu on my machine)
I have a habit of trying to do stuff with workspaces in Windows. I've tried different workspace apps for Windows, but have yet to find one that successfully emulates Ubuntu's.

Frak
November 15th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Hold Option (alt) to choose a startup disk on regular computers. Forget it's controlled through a hard-BIOS setting.

FuturePilot
November 15th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I ha it wh that hap

:lolflag:

Mazza558
November 16th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Having a cut-down and restricted Start Menu on our school computers slowed my productivity down so much, I eventually made a program launcher on Powerpoint which created a few raised eyebrows. It uses hyperlinks to get around the fact we can't simply access C:/ in Windows Explorer. Here's a screenshot:

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/29948/ppmenu.PNG

billgoldberg
November 16th, 2008, 12:36 AM
When on other peoples pc, I often try to start the expo compiz fusion plugin by moving my mouse quickly to the top right screen edge.

Or I press F12 a lot on other people pc's to open a terminal.

--

Eg. My friends computer is running slow when using it. My natural reaction is to press F12 to open a terminal and use top.

billgoldberg
November 16th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Having a cut-down and restricted Start Menu on our school computers slowed my productivity down so much, I eventually made a program launcher on Powerpoint which created a few raised eyebrows. It uses hyperlinks to get around the fact we can't simply access C:/ in Windows Explorer. Here's a screenshot:

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/29948/ppmenu.PNG

Lol.

It looks pretty good.

Are other people using it?

And how does that work, is it just a slide from a presentation?

billgoldberg
November 16th, 2008, 12:40 AM

"Hey, I want that"

Ok, that's made up.

:)

lswb
November 16th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I usually write shell scripts using vi. Sometimes I test out a line in another terminal, then press up arrow key to repeat the line and edit it. I keep pressing the Escape key or "i" as if I was working in vi.

fiddler616
November 16th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Ok, that's made up.

:)
No, it isn't, that's the sad part.

Mazza558
November 16th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Lol.

It looks pretty good.

Are other people using it?

And how does that work, is it just a slide from a presentation?

A few friends use it sparingly (as it's basically designed for my needs).

It's composed of 10 slides - each slide shows a different section from the links at the bottom. Clicking on a slide links to that section, and the menu is always available (so it feels like a real menu). Clicking on the background returns to the first slide which has no section open (so that mimics "clicking off" a menu). It took no longer than an hour to make, during a free period. If I could code, I'd have made something a bit more substantial (and less clumsy - the whole presentation is about 5mb due to having to have the background repeated 10 times)

cardinals_fan
November 16th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I often type :wq to quit any app. Actually, I use Vim shortcuts everywhere else too :)

Joeb454
November 16th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I often type :wq to quit any app. Actually, I use Vim shortcuts everywhere else too :)

Yeah I understand that one:wq

zmjjmz
November 16th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Two things: When I'm on a Windows comp I'll try hitting ctrl-alt- -> to switch desktops. When that doesn't work I hit alt-2.
Then I realize that this isn' working, and hit super-d.

In non-Vimperator browsers I find myself hitting ctrl-o instead of clicking on the back button. Sometimes I'll try to close a tab by hitting d.

JohnFH
November 16th, 2008, 02:09 AM
At work I use touchscreens for a lot of the machines I work on and then my workmates laugh at me when I go back to my desk (with normal desktop setup) and start touching the monitor screen to select options. Bit embarrassing and it happens all the time!

el_ricardo
November 16th, 2008, 02:56 AM
heres a few:

I use nano for all my script editing needs in ubuntu, and now every time i have ANY other text editor open, be it kate, gedit, or notepad in windows, I always try searching with ctrl+W, exiting with ctrl+X, etc etc

If i'm using a computer with internet explorer 6, i can't help but click links with the middle mouse button, expecting them to open in a new tab

if windows crashes i hit ctrl alt backspace and wonder why nothing happens

every time i sit at a computer my fingers naturally cover the WASD keys

juanmoreno92
November 16th, 2008, 03:11 AM
:lolflag: I'm guessing your a WOW player huh?

Namtabmai
November 16th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Like others, no matter what OS or program I keep trying Vim keystrokes. :wq/i/esc/hjlk.. etc. It got so bad I even paid out for a license for viPlugin for eclipse.

But surely I can't be the only person that tries to mentally Ctrl-F when reading a book?

Deathray
November 16th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Last week I saw a bus go by that had with big letters something that would make a linux person laugh.. Just can't remember what it was but my friends had no idea as to why I was laughing :b.

Watching a movie a few hours ago, I saw the numbers 192 and immediately thought of a class C ip address :P.

Dr Small
November 16th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I always close my terminals with :q and when I am logged into another computer via SSH or actually at the computer, it just bugs me when I press :q and it says ":q -- Command not found". I use that command everywhere, including Firefox (with Vimperator).

I have gotten so used to "d" in vimperator, that I was beginning to press "d" on other windows... I got to break that habit.

zmjjmz
November 16th, 2008, 03:57 AM
I use nano for all my script editing needs in ubuntu, and now every time i have ANY other text editor open, be it kate, gedit, or notepad in windows, I always try searching with ctrl+W, exiting with ctrl+X, etc etc

If i'm using a computer with internet explorer 6, i can't help but click links with the middle mouse button, expecting them to open in a new tab

I do that too.
I've noticed that middle clicking links in Windows generally doesn't get you anywhere though.

cammin
November 16th, 2008, 04:09 AM

"Hey, I want that"

Oh, there's an open source alternative, but it tastes like crap.:)

tuxsheadache
November 16th, 2008, 04:18 AM
I try CTRl+Cing paper to my monitor.
I use a stumbleupon a lot, and I kept watching movies and wanting to give a "thumbs up" everytime i found it amusing.

Mardoct909
November 16th, 2008, 04:21 AM
I keep expecting all other computers I use to wobble their windows, or roll the mouse wheel on the background expecting another desktop.

-grubby
November 16th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I try to undo, copy, and paste in real life sometimes..

Saint Angeles
November 16th, 2008, 04:27 AM
when i use a non-linux computer, i ALWAYS try to alt+drag a window.

all that happens is some selected text.

alt+drag is the greatest thing to ever happen to window managers.

also, alt+(both mouse buttons) to resize is a trick of the gods.

sometimes when i am throwing something away or telling somebody to throw something away, i accidently call it "deleting".
for example: "Hey Jess, could you delete this Now and Later wrapper for me?" or...
"I deleted the cat litter..."

zmjjmz
November 16th, 2008, 05:30 AM
or roll the mouse wheel on the background expecting another desktop.

Same here. Happens all the time at school.
I get so frustrated too.

cardinals_fan
November 16th, 2008, 05:47 AM
or roll the mouse wheel on the background expecting another desktop.
I always hit Alt+# and feel surprised when I don't see another tag :)

Grant A.
November 16th, 2008, 05:53 AM
When reading I book I find myself trying to scroll down with a scrollbar.

barbedsaber
November 16th, 2008, 07:16 AM

Same here, too many hours spent playing GTA, and UT.

I can't think if I don't have my fingers on the home row. When I had to hand write something, I pulled out an old keyboard, and sat with my fingers on the keys until I could get started.

rudihawk
November 16th, 2008, 08:31 AM

I didn't know that thanks!
When I on Windows, I keep wanting to switch to another workspace. :lolflag:

fiddler616
November 16th, 2008, 09:56 AM
when i use a non-linux computer, i ALWAYS try to alt+drag a window.

all that happens is some selected text.

alt+drag is the greatest thing to ever happen to window managers.

sometimes when i am throwing something away or telling somebody to throw something away, i accidently call it "deleting".
for example: "Hey Jess, could you delete this Now and Later wrapper for me?" or...
"I deleted the cat litter..."
Somebody over in Programming Talk made one. Hold on while I track down the thread.
Edit: Here it is: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=853371

barbedsaber
November 16th, 2008, 11:52 AM

It is actually alt+middle click. Its just that in linux, both buttons counts as middle.

lukjad
November 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I was just writing an essay when I noticed a word was spelled wrong. I corrected it, then naturally moved my mouse to click the compile button non-existent compile button...

Ever done anything like this?
When I write on paper, I look for the copy/paste buttons and wish for Ctrl+Z

diablo75
November 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I used to type DOS commands in a linux terminal by accident. Now I type linux commands in DOS by accident. ifconfig and ipconfig get mixed up. So does ls and dir.

fiddler616
November 16th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I used to type DOS commands in a linux terminal by accident. Now I type linux commands in DOS by accident. ifconfig and ipconfig get mixed up. So does ls and dir.
dir works on my terminal.....

lukjad
November 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Same here. We have to do things in DOS in my class and I keep trying to list my file in my directory with ls.

Frak
November 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Same here. We have to do things in DOS in my class and I keep trying to list my file in my directory with ls.
Rule of thumb, Linux geeks don't use vowels (ls, cp, cd, mv) DOS does (dir, mkdir, chdir, ren)

fiddler616
November 16th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Fortunately, I was born in the Windows era--so the only terminal I've ever learned is Linux's.

Mardoct909
November 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM
So was I, but I still used the command prompt a good amount in Windows. Mostly dxdiag, del and ipconfig.

lukjad
November 16th, 2008, 10:14 PM
And precision copying.

Grant A.
November 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Rule of thumb, Linux geeks don't use vowels (ls, cp, cd, mv) DOS does (dir, mkdir, chdir, ren)

mkdir is a command in Linux, as well. Or BASH, I should say. It does also exist in DOS and Windows, though.

Btw, CHMOD = Linux, CHOWN = Linux.

eragon100
November 16th, 2008, 11:05 PM
mkdir is a command in Linux, as well. Or BASH, I should say. It does also exist in DOS and Windows, though.

Btw, CHMOD = Linux, CHOWN = Linux.

dir also does the same thing in linux as in DOS, and cd and cp are the same too :wink:

And uh, "su" and "sudo" ?