PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think...

quietglow
December 3rd, 2005, 04:59 AM
about this laptop:

http://www.gateway.com/home/products/ret/platinum/index.shtml

(warning: flash site)

I'm thinking of plunkin' down some money for one tomorrow. Its so new there are zero reviews online much less linux experiences. I just spent an hour or so with a live CD at bestbuy messing with one. Wireless worked out of the box (!) and I managed to enable and use suspend to ram. I didn't think it would work on a livecd but figured "what the heck." It did! Resolution on the screen was off, but thats an easy fix. Couldn't tell about batt recognition cause they dont leave one installed of course.

It looks pretty snazzy. Gateway looks to be trying to become the Apple of pc laptops with their last few designs--I approve. Am I the only person who doesn't like 9 million "media" buttons and card reader slots?

FWIW, I've been around long enough to remember when asking your linux buddies whether you should buy a gateway would have been like asking if you should buy a (pre OSX!) mac! How things change!

xequence
December 3rd, 2005, 05:14 AM
The 8 cell battery looks nice. Dont some laptops use 4 cell ones?

That plus a pentium M will mean good battery life.

quietglow
December 3rd, 2005, 05:30 AM
I'm looking at reviews of the standard edition version of it and they are saying about 4 hours for the 6 cell--so maybe 5.5 hours for the 6? I've never had a centrino machine and have always sorta remembered my powerbook's long battery life with envy...

Modular drive bay means the possibility of even more battery/2nd hotswap HD/etc!

YourSurrogateGod
December 3rd, 2005, 06:12 AM
I dunno. My personal pick is a dell right now. I liked Gateway when they had their stores around the country. You could bring in your pc, they'd repair it and pick it up. Much faster than with mail, handling, etc. This is especially important when it comes to dealing with laptops, as they tend to be inherently prone to failure.