PDA

View Full Version : Eat your heart out AOL!

Darrin
December 3rd, 2005, 04:52 AM
I had an AOL display that I converted to a Ubuntu display. :p

SweetDreams
December 3rd, 2005, 04:55 AM
That's very nice! Good job.

teaker1s
December 3rd, 2005, 05:00 AM
that's nothing in the uk all broadband except local loop unbundling which isn't avaliable in my area comes from British Telecom-I only have AOL because it's fast unlimited broadband indirectly from BT.

I magine the fun I have when I get a customer service questionare and say Their software is crap, I don't use it so they can't sell me any crap via aol 9 or whatever the current one is.
For a media company my methods effectively make me an unprofitable subscriber as I never buy from their links and I have high bandwidth use

YourSurrogateGod
December 3rd, 2005, 06:35 AM
Darrin, you've made my day.

teaker1s
December 7th, 2005, 06:35 PM
just come to the end of a years contract so I phoned cancellations and with pressure they price matched another service provider that offers a bandwidth limited service- mine unlimited and a month free so I have saved £85 on my bt based connection for high bandwidth use and 350 hours a month plus usage it's a bargain

Howitzer
December 7th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Nice work!

AOL is indeed crap, but if Ubuntu were to match AOL's advertising fervor, Ubuntu would quickly become the mainstream.

Imagine, everyone in the world getting Ubuntu disks (like today, everyone in the world (well, alot of the world anyway) has at least 1 AOL disk somewhere within their home...)

BWF89
December 7th, 2005, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't say AOL is crap. It's just aimed at n00bs.

teaker1s
December 7th, 2005, 11:11 PM
in the UK it's all resold British Telecom product-it makes no difference apart from bandwidth and cost.
As for AOL Software its crap -but all I have is a username and password in my router no AOL9 plus no other provider would stand 100gb downloads without bandwidth throttling a month unless it was more expensive business broadband:KS beat the system

gRiMgRaVy014
December 7th, 2005, 11:42 PM
My family once recieved 5 aol discs in a month and we used them for clay pigeons :p

BWF89
December 7th, 2005, 11:46 PM
My family once recieved 5 aol discs in a month and we used them for clay pigeons :p
Try putting them into the microwave on high for 3+ seconds.

It's better than the 4th of July!

gRiMgRaVy014
December 8th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I heard that can wreck your microwave.Can it? I still have about 20 of the cds I"ll try it.

BWF89
December 8th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I heard that can wreck your microwave.Can it? I still have about 20 of the cds I"ll try it.
Aslong as it doesn't touch the edges of the microwave your good.

gRiMgRaVy014
December 8th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Is it possible to mess your microwave up using that?

teaker1s
December 8th, 2005, 12:35 AM
christmas tree lights good too in an old microwave, plasma experiments too

gRiMgRaVy014
December 8th, 2005, 01:29 AM
sorry double posted there.

teaker1s
December 8th, 2005, 01:45 AM
aol bird scarers-does anyone know if aol9 is more effective at this than say 8?

teaker1s
December 8th, 2005, 02:10 AM
made tesla turbine with discs and a clock face, microwave experiments can be extremely dangerous an amusing -at your own risk

benplaut
December 8th, 2005, 03:39 AM
how did you end up with one of those displays? :/

teaker1s
December 11th, 2005, 03:12 PM
No years subscription as I can't and won't agree to the agreement aol9 brings up does that mean I'm not tied in for a year-I'm guessing yes as I get seven days cooling off from when I agree:KS

In order to take advantage of this reduced rate price plan, you will be required to enter into a new 12 months contract and to agree to the AOL Broadband Agreement, which will be presented to you when during the course of your next log-on.

From the working day after you agree to the AOL Broadband Agreement, you have a "Cooling Off Period" of seven working days during which you can contact us and cancel your new commitment. (A working day is any day except Saturday, Sunday or a UK public holiday). Should you do so, you will simply revert back to the price plan you were on prior to entering into this new agreement.

Darrin
December 11th, 2005, 03:47 PM
how did you end up with one of those displays? :/
I work in a place where I get a ton of AOL displays and discs sent to me to display them. The items are sent directly to me and I had an extra display. Im so sick of looking at all the AOL discs. :)

I do have AOL on my Windows XP though. I doubt my wife and daughter will ever let me let it go. So I keep it.

teaker1s
December 11th, 2005, 03:51 PM
like your display ,wouldn't it be nice to pick up a free linux disc in a high st shop-I'm not talking about the ones that you buy the book and get it free

dkaddict
July 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
AOHELL

How do I get around BT throttling my bandwidth between 4pm and Midnight? I get real good speeds with torrents except between these times. It is a real pain. I pay too much IMO for a service which sells itself as 'Unlimited' which in reality is pretty lame. I have tried all of the Torrent clients. The fastest yet, during strangle time, has been Utorrent run in WINE. I have ticked all of the encryption boxes but it makes no difference. Ktorrent only encrypts my uploads so that is no good yet it is the fastest at the 'unlimited' times. I have read that this sort of behaviour portrayed by ISPs the world over is beatable and I wanna beat it.

Help if you can.
It will be received with many thanx

dk

dca
July 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Rats, I can't find the link...

Back years ago (I think in Newsweek) there was a b/w cartoon. It looked as if the cartoon characters were on the moon or something at a recycling dump. On each of the dumpsters something different was written: first said 'PLASTIC', second one said 'ALUMINUM', and the third one said 'AOL DISKS'... Darned if I can find it....